equivalent of "redirect_to :back" in json response

Hi,

I've got an ajax call who's response does some complicated things on the view. I've already created this view in ruby on the server, so I'd rather not rewrite the entire thing in javascript when the ajax call returns.

It seems like it should be easy enough to resend the current view (minus the layout) in response to the json call, but I'm having trouble figuring out what should go in the controller.

In other words, here's the standard controller action:

# POST /my_controller   # POST /my_controller.json   def create     @my_controller = MyController.new(params[:my_controller])

respond_to do |format|       if @my_controller.save         format.html { redirect_to :back }         format.json { render json: @my_controller, status: :created, location: @my_controller } # <--- here       else         format.html { redirect_to :back }         format.json { render json: @my_controller.errors, status: :unprocessable_entity }       end     end   end

At the place I've marked "<--- here", I'd like to basically return what would happen on "redirect :back" except I don't want the round trip to the browser, nor the layout, and I'd like to return it as part of the json object.

In other words, I'm looking for something like this:

format.json { render json: { html: get_html(request.env['REQUEST_URI']) }, status: :created, location: @my_controller } # <--- here

def get_html(uri)   # TODO: How do I render this and return it as a string?   # Obviously not the following, but that is the idea:   # html = render :template => uri, :layout => false   # return html end

I hope my intent is clear...

Thanks!