Entire Rails App Loaded Into Memory?

Hey everyone, I recently launched a product catalog website built on Rails and today I made a change to the app, uploaded the changes and nothing happened.

I made sure that my files on the server were the lastest by opening them using ssh.

So I thought it was a caching issue. I hadn't created any caches but I figured that Rails might have some kind of caching engine on a production environment. I looked around and couldn't find any cache files.

So I figured I'd test my cache issue theory by making a change manually to the db and see if it is refreshed or ignored. Surprisingly, the database change was reflected in my app but my app didn't change. Basically my simple change was to display the price of the product when displaying a list of products. The name of the product changed (manual change in the db) but the price didn't show up.

So I figured I'd try to restart my mongrel cluster... and that worked. So I was trying to figure out why that would be... and then I remember thinking... why is this mongrel server taking up 92 mb of my RAM on the server... and thats when it occured to me... maybe the entire web app is loaded into the mongrel server.

Now I could be totally off base and there could be another reasonable explanation... so I figured I'd ask.

Does anyone know if this is actually what happens?

~ mel

If you start your mongrel server in production mode all the code is loaded into memory. After making code changes do restart the server.