Ensure single session per user

Hey Everyone,

I would like to add the ability to control that a single user can be logged in only once. In other words, if User "A" logs in and then another person with User "A" credentials logs in, it will destroy the session of the first session and log them out. As far as the security of the matter goes, I'd rather that the correct owner of User "A" with valid access to email, reset their password so the other person will not have access. I am using restful_auth. plugin with the standard for the session controller. I am using the DB session if that mattters. I'd like to know if there is a built in method or before_filter available or if someone has already come up with a solution to make this possible.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Nick

Sessions are serialised (can't be queried with ordinary SQL) and handled by Rails, they may belong to anonymous users also depending on the application. I wouldn't touch sessions themselves. A simple approach would be to add a session_id fk to your users table.

Let's say persons p, q have credentials for account A. Let's say p is logged in.

When user q logs in, since session_id is not null (it has p's session ID) and it is different than q's session ID, you just delete the session record of p, assign the current session ID to session_id, and save current_user.

When p comes back, the session with the session_id in his cookie is gone, he's been logged out.

But the logic is a bit strange, now p can log in again thus logging q out back. Wouldn't you prefer that q cannot log in while p has a session? What is you current rationale?

Any code examples available? Any links for me to checkout their method? Hopefully it's simple with Restful Auth.

My current rationale for allowing the second person to bump the first person is to get them annoyed enough for them to have 2 separate user accounts as well as making sure that same user can't be logged in on two different browsers. If users are locked out because they left a browser open on a different computer and require me to remove their session, that would be a nightmare for me. To have a session timeout would also be a pain for them as they have a certain way they would like to work with the system. This seems to be the only way.

Thank you for your help,

Nick

You basically need to create a Session model to manage the existing sessions table with AR.

Then, write a filter that implements that logic I explained in the previous mail. Put that filter after the one that checks for logged in users, so you have a current_user.

If you redirect upon a successful login you're done (modulus this is all off the top of my head).

Nick Gins wrote:

My current rationale for allowing the second person to bump the first person is to get them annoyed enough for them to have 2 separate user

Well, I hope you have a captive audience. The first time a site "annoyed" me in the manner would be the last time I'd use the site. If I had any choice in the matter anyway.

Robert Walker wrote:

Nick Gins wrote:

My current rationale for allowing the second person to bump the first person is to get them annoyed enough for them to have 2 separate user

Well, I hope you have a captive audience. The first time a site "annoyed" me in the manner would be the last time I'd use the site. If I had any choice in the matter anyway.

I do have a very exclusive market for my site as this is really a project for a very niche market for a larger company. The annoyance factor is to prevent them from hurting themselves by creating a single user account for their office and just entering all the data by several different people at the same time and then reporting against that. Not good.

I need help with a code example. Thank you for the help, but I need help with a visual example so I can see how it's done.

Thank you,

Nick

Nick Gins wrote:

Robert Walker wrote:

Nick Gins wrote:

I do have a very exclusive market for my site as this is really a project for a very niche market for a larger company. The annoyance factor is to prevent them from hurting themselves by creating a single user account for their office and just entering all the data by several different people at the same time and then reporting against that. Not good.

If users will be "hurting themselves", then they won't do it. If you annoy your users, you will lose your users. I totally agree with Robert here.

In other words: provide obvious rewards for doing it the right way. Don't provide deliberate annoyance for doing it the wrong way.

I need help with a code example. Thank you for the help, but I need help with a visual example so I can see how it's done.

Just don't.

Thank you,

Nick

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

Nick Gins wrote:

Robert Walker wrote:

Nick Gins wrote:

If users will be "hurting themselves", then they won't do it. If you annoy your users, you will lose your users. I totally agree with Robert here.

In other words: provide obvious rewards for doing it the right way. Don't provide deliberate annoyance for doing it the wrong way.

Just don't.

Thank you,

Nick

Best, -- Marnen Laibow-Koser http://www.marnen.org marnen@marnen.org

Guys, my question is regarding how to do this not what do you think about the way I am going about it. I was asked the reason and I gave it. The annoyance factor is considered a feature and the application is NOT FOR MAIN STREAM USE. So, can any one assist me?

Thank you,

Nick

Nick do you have any experience with Rails? Is there some point in my explanation that it is not clear?

Xavier Noria wrote:

Nick do you have any experience with Rails? Is there some point in my explanation that it is not clear?

Xavier. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your help. I do have experience with Rails and could spend the time right now building based upon your suggestion. I too have thought of adding something to the user's table and putting a model on the session. I think doing that would be a bad thing to do in my opinion. Some others my think it's not a big deal.

Instead, I was hoping that there is an example out there that is built upon Restful Auth. The example could be about locking out the next user that tries to log in. It doesn't matter because I get an idea of how to change it to make it work the way I would like it to work.

Thank you, again.