Efficient way of using multple Database

Is there a efficient way of using multiple databases in a Rails application. I saw DB Charmer but, it did not work with 3.2.8 and even in Rails 3.2.3 it gave problems.

Is using establish_connection inefficient?

Colin

Nope, what I am thinking is we need to migrate, the two databases need different set of tables. I am having a hard time.

Ah, ok, a subject line and posting that asked for the best way to handle migration of multiple databases might have been more useful. Sorry I have never done that, but googling for rails migrate multiple databases yields some likely looking hits.

Colin

There is a gem called DB charmer, but does not work :frowning:

You can try the following, so far it has worked for me on rails 3.2.8

Grab the gem source code from 1. git clone https://github.com/kovyrin/db-charmer.git

Modify the dependency inside the gemspec file, instead of <= 3.2.3 edit to ~> 3.2.3 2. vim db-charmer.gemspec 3. s.add_dependency 'activesupport', '~> 3.2.3'      s.add_dependency 'activerecord', '~> 3.2.3'

Build the Gem.

4. gem build db-charmer.gemspec

Install the newly built gem. (You should replace the old one after with gem clean)

5. gem install db-charmer-1.7.1.gem

We use Octopus GitHub - thiagopradi/octopus: Database Sharding for ActiveRecord , its quiet good enough