Dynamically connecting a model to databases in a running app…?

Hi All,

I've read many of the existing questions/threads on this subject, but keep in mind that none of them have directly addressed my issue -- or they have yet to be answered. Also keep in mind that this is NOT a situation for database.yml as I won't know the DB info in advance.

That said, I need a solution for DYNAMICALLY connecting to multiple databases in a Rails app. My situation is that I have multiple data logging sites, all with a simple data table (EVENTS, TIMESTAMP, VALUE). These sites need to (and will) remain as they are due to local applications that need to use them.

What I need is to create an application that maintains a table of "MYSQL_LOGINS" and uses each of those logins to connect to any one of various databases and provide charts/graphs for the data therein.

My "data" model will remain the same for all MySQL databases to which I connect, I simply need to be able to tell my MODEL to connect to a different DB on the fly. I'm hoping this is amazingly simple, but we'll see.

Best.

Hi All,

I've read many of the existing questions/threads on this subject, but keep in mind that none of them have directly addressed my issue -- or they have yet to be answered. Also keep in mind that this is NOT a situation for database.yml as I won't know the DB info in advance.

That said, I need a solution for DYNAMICALLY connecting to multiple databases in a Rails app. My situation is that I have multiple data logging sites, all with a simple data table (EVENTS, TIMESTAMP, VALUE). These sites need to (and will) remain as they are due to local applications that need to use them.

Well you can can establish_connection pretty much whenever you want. Have you tried that ?

Fred

So you're suggesting I call it on the model like "User.establish_connection" as needed? I wasn't aware that was something reasonable/feasible. I'll give it a try.