Dynamic Finders and :finder_sql

In order to handle the access rights in my application (where users only have access to designs within their own group and belonging to a customer that they are associated with), I have the following has_many association in the User model:

has_many :designs,     :finder_sql => 'SELECT DISTINCT designs.* FROM designs INNER JOIN (users, groups_users) ON designs.user_id = users.id AND groups_users.user_id = users.id WHERE (groups_users.group_id IN (SELECT resources.id FROM resources INNER JOIN (groups_users) ON groups_users.group_id = resources.id WHERE groups_users.user_id = #{id}) AND designs.customer_id IN (SELECT companies.id FROM companies INNER JOIN (customers_users) ON customers_users.customer_id = companies.id WHERE customers_users.user_id = #{id}))',     :counter_sql => 'SELECT COUNT(*) FROM (SELECT DISTINCT designs.* FROM designs INNER JOIN (users, groups_users) ON designs.user_id = users.id AND groups_users.user_id = users.id WHERE (groups_users.group_id IN (SELECT resources.id FROM resources INNER JOIN (groups_users) ON groups_users.group_id = resources.id WHERE groups_users.user_id = #{id}) AND designs.customer_id IN (SELECT companies.id FROM companies INNER JOIN (customers_users) ON customers_users.customer_id = companies.id WHERE customers_users.user_id = #{id}))) AS d'

The association works fine when used in the following simple cases:

user.designs   user.designs.count   user.designs.find(1)

However it does not support any of the dynamic finders:

user.designs.find(:first)   user.designs.find(:all)   user.designs.find_by_reference('S')

The problem is entirely down to the SQL that Rails itself injects into my custom finder_sql; the main culprit being the addition of the following:

SELECT * FROM designs WHERE (

This is appended to the beginning of my statement thereby rendering it invalid.

Is there anyway to modify Rails' behaviour in this situation so that it only adds its conditions to the end of my existing finder_sql? Or perhaps there is something inherently wrong with the format of my otherwise-working finder_sql which is causing Rails to append the SELECT?

Here is a sample query generated by Rails when performing user.designs.find_by_reference("REF"):

SELECT * FROM designs WHERE (SELECT * FROM designs INNER JOIN (users, groups_users) ON designs.user_id = users.id AND groups_users.user_id = users.id WHERE (groups_users.group_id IN (SELECT resources.id FROM resources INNER JOIN (groups_users) ON groups_users.group_id = resources.id WHERE groups_users.user_id = 1) AND designs.customer_id IN (SELECT companies.id FROM companies INNER JOIN (customers_users) ON customers_users.customer_id = companies.id WHERE customers_users.user_id = 1))) AND (designs.`reference` = 'REF') LIMIT 1

Thanks in advance,

-- Paul