DoubleRender Question: who can answer?

Joe Peck wrote the following on 03.04.2007 19:37 :

Hello.

In my application controller, I have a function like this:

def is_owner_or_admin(user_id)     if cur_user.role != "Admin" && cur_user.id != Integer(user_id)       flash[:error] = "Access denied"       redirect_to(:controller => :users, :action => :account) and return false     end   end

I call it in my users controller like so:   def show     is_owner_or_admin(params[:id])     @user = User.find_by_id(params[:id])     unless @user       flash[:error] = "User not found"       redirect_to :action => :account     end   end

If @user ends up being nil, however, then I get a DoubleRender error. My question is, what can I put in "is_owner_or_admin" that will redirect and not complete the "show" action?

I ended with throwing a SecurityError instead of redirecting, makes it more DRY: I catch the exception and do what I want with it.

In your ApplicationController :

# 1/ save the original exception handling     alias_method :rescue_action_without_security_error, :rescue_action

# 2/ handle the SecurityError case     def rescue_action(exception)         return rescue_action_without_security_error(exception) unless exception.is_a?(SecurityError)         log_url_hacking(exception)         reset_session         render :file => "#{RAILS_ROOT}/public/403.html", :status => 403     end

My personal choice has demonstrated above is to: - log the hacking attempt, - destroy the session, - render a default 403 page with the corresponding HTTP Response code.

Lionel