How much better is a big monitor, say >17", to work with?
I am using dual 24" monitors @ 1920x1200 (not really dual monitors - each is
connected to a different computer, but the second one mostly displays
X-forwarded sessions from the first computer)
The productivity gain is unbelievable - I would never have believed anybody
how GOOD this is before I tried it
Could you go back?
Did you notice a change?
At the same time I bought a Herman Miller Aeron chair too, and already had
ergonomic keyboard/mouse - it's probably not just the monitors.
After a long 16 hours working day (rule rather than exception for me :-((( )
it is comparing chalk with cheese - the monitors & chair were the best
investment (after my wife ) I ever made.
- you don't tire that quick any more
- the eyes don't get sore after 8-10 hours any more
- I can stay focussed on the problem for much (MUCH!) longer
- I tend less to digress (eg when browsing for something, just keeping
browsing instead of going back to working on my problem - because the editor
screen is never hidden)
- the ability to browse full A4 pages with a single glance speeds up code
reviewing / debugging extremely
What is the difference?
see above. You have to experience it to believe it. I am now even buying
laptops with 19" 1920x1200 screens and am prepared to lug two of those heavy
beasts around when travelling - such is the productivity gain. There is no