Do apps like basecamp, highrise, blinksale, etc. use caching?

I want to start using memcache for my app and I was wondering if you use memcache, do you even need to use action or fragment caching? Do the popular webapps only use memcache? Thanks.

I want to start using memcache for my app and I was wondering if you use memcache, do you even need to use action or fragment caching? Do the popular webapps only use memcache? Thanks.

Why not use action/fragment caching that is backed by memcache?

That's what we do. In addition to caching other random things like SQL results...

-philip

Phil,

Does that offer significant speed over using just memcache? Because if not, it is not worth it because expiring fragments is a pain in the ass.

Thanks.

Does that offer significant speed over using just memcache? Because if not, it is not worth it because expiring fragments is a pain in the ass.

Make it so that when you cache the fragment you can specify an expire time that gets passed to memcache so the fragment goes away on it's own after a certain period of time.

Depending on how much rendering still has to happen, yeah, it can help.

Then again, you may not need it so spending time on it now might be overkill.

Can I use memcache for page caching?

I am using page caching for my RSS feed.

I think once I run mongrels in a clustered of machines, I'd have problems with page caching because the page caching can't be expired on all machines automatically.