display signup form to enter admin account details

I would like to display a user account signup form if no user is present. The signup form will then create a new user account with admin privileges.

Right now I am creating a pre-defined / hard coded admin account. Whenever user clicks on a login page, the application checks for an account with admin privileges. If no such account is found, then I am creating an admin account. Usually it will occur during first run of the application.

I would like to prompt user to create an admin account automatically, i.e., without user having to click on any link. How can I invoke my signup method in this manner? Where should I define it and call it from?

Thanks, Amita.

first of all: what sense makes an admin-account if everybody gets one automatically? second: what information do you store? without having the user at least choose a username, password, how would you recognise which user is which?

i'd really want to help, but it seems i don't understand what you are doing here.

Not everyone gets an admin account automatically. Current approach: The user already knows username and password of this admin account (included in README file). When user clicks on the login button, the application checks if any user with admin privileges exists. If not, then an account with admin privileges is setup. Admin user can change his/her password thereafter. On subsequent runs (when admin account is already exists), another admin account won't be created and there exists only one admin account. Also, once created the admin account can not be deleted.

Problem: Every time user clicks on the login button, the method to make admin account if no exists is called upon.

What I would like to do: When user runs the application and no admin account exists, then display a signup/create admin form to create an admin account. Usually this will occur during first run, but not necessarily.

How can I implement this? Other suggestions are welcome..

Thanks, Amita.

MaD wrote:

What I would like to do: When user runs the application and no admin account exists, then display a signup/create admin form to create an admin account.

if i understand correctly, you need to write some code roughly like the following in your controller:

if User.find(:all, :conditions => {:group_id => Group.find_by_name ("admin").id}).size == 0   # render create_admin_account as none exists so far else   # admin-account exists => just login end

Problem: Every time user clicks on the login button, the method to make admin account if no exists is called upon.

do you already have some code to see where what could be wrong about it?

your problem is that you are calling

User.make_admin_if_none

and in there you are asking

self.find_by_role(admin)

now, as this is a class-method self would be the user-class, but not an instance of it, which means it is not a single user and thus cannot have the role 'admin'. therefor your if-clause always gets evaluated to false and you create a new user every time someone hits that button.

make it an instance-method (= get rid of the 'self.' in method- definition and adjust the logic accordingly). and call it like this

user = User.authenticate(params[:username], params[:password])   user.make_admin_if_none

hope this helps...

another thought: it would be better to include that kind of logic into the registration- process. that way you dont have to call it every time someone logs in.

something like this:

def register     user = User.new     admins = Group.find_by_name("admin")     if admins.users.size == 0       user.groups << admins     end   end

hard to tell you which way to go. in the end it's YOUR application. still i hope i could give you some inspiration.