display "..." for text LONER than a certain length...

I am working on an app that has user generated content. What I'd like to do, is display X characters of, say, a title and put "..." for the rest. This sounds like something you see in soc networking type app and wondering if there is some code out there to do this. thanks.

<%= h truncate( model.property, X ) %>

Nahabed, Just in case you didn't follow Lucas's explanation the 'X' is the length you wish to display on the form. Kathleen

@Dan, in short, rails is smart enough. See http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionView/Helpers/TextHelper.html#M001049

Dan __ wrote:

Lucas wrote:

<%= h truncate( model.property, X ) %>

Hey, I've just got a quick question on this (I've run into needing this same thing, but I've done it a different way). Say I want to limit something to 50 characters before cutting it off and adding the "...". If it turns out that whatever I want to limit ends up only being 30 characters, will it still add the "..."? I'd assume it wouldn't, because Rails is usually smarter than that, but its good to check before I go changing my app to use this method (which is way better than how I've been doing it) :slight_smile:

(model.property.length > X ? truncate(model.property, X-3)+'...' : model.property)

or something like that...

DyingToLearn wrote:

@Dan, in short, rails is smart enough. See ActionView::Helpers::TextHelper

Beautiful! Simplifies my code a decent amount (gets rid of the if statements I had before to do the same job). Thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

(model.property.length > X ? truncate(model.property, X-3)+'...' : model.property)

Doh! Ignore that... truncate... Nice.

Quoting nahabed <roupenn@gmail.com>:

I am working on an app that has user generated content. What I'd like to do, is display X characters of, say, a title and put "..." for the rest. This sounds like something you see in soc networking type app and wondering if there is some code out there to do this. thanks.

# truncate a string to N characters, add elipsis if over   def short_desc(s, n=80)     if s.nil?       ''     elsif s.length <= n       s     else       i = n - 4 # 4 characters in ellipsis       while i > 0 && " \t".include?(s[i]) # is whitespace?   i = i - 1       end       if i <= 0   s       else   s.slice(0, i) + ' ...'       end     end   end

HTH,   Jeffrey

I was under the impression that’s what truncate did, Jeffrey.

hi

I guess u want to do something like this

some text upto say 30 char and after that ... so u can restrict just by doing

<%= t.content[0..30]%>...

Thanks

Dhaval Parikh Software Engineer www.railshouse.com sales(AT)railshouse(DOT)com

My bad. Made an improvement without verifying the result. Corrected line below uncommented.

Sorry,   Jeffrey

Quoting Jeffrey L. Taylor <ror@abluz.dyndns.org>:

Quoting nahabed <roupenn@gmail.com>: > > I am working on an app that has user generated content. What I'd like > to do, is display X characters of, say, a title and put "..." for the > rest. This sounds like something you see in soc networking type app > and wondering if there is some code out there to do this. thanks.

# truncate a string to N characters, add elipsis if over   def short_desc(s, n=80)     if s.nil?       ''     elsif s.length <= n       s     else       i = n - 4 # 4 characters in ellipsis       while i > 0 && " \t".include?(s[i]) # is whitespace?

while i > 0 && !" \t".include?(s[i]) # is not whitespace?

Quoting Ryan Bigg (Radar) <radarlistener@gmail.com>:

I was under the impression that's what truncate did, Jeffrey.

No, truncate just chops it off at N characters, possibly in mid-word. My code truncates at whitespace, i.e., between words. (Or at least it does after the correction I just posted.)

Jeffrey

You really, REALLY ought to have tests for this:

class TruncateTest < Test::Unit::TestCase    def test_fits      str = "short"      assert_equal str, truncate(str, 10)    end

def test_backs_up_to_space      str = "short filibuster"      exp = "short ..."      assert_equal exp, truncate(str, 10)    end

def test_breaks_word_if_no_space      str = "antidisestablishmentarianism"      exp = "antidis..."      assert_equal exp, truncate(str, 10)    end

end

I didn't look back at your code so these tests might not actually be the results that you want, but this ought to give you the right idea.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsultingllc.com Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

Shorter, faster version

# truncate a string to N characters, add elipsis if over   def short_desc(s, n=80)     if s.nil?       ''     elsif s.length <= n       s     else       # find last break character (space, tab, hyphen, slash, underscore)       i = s.rindex(/[ \t-\/_]/, n)       i = n - 4 if i.nil? # none, just truncate()       s.slice(0, i+1) + '...'     end   end

Quoting Rob Biedenharn <Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com>:

> Quoting Ryan Bigg (Radar) <radarlistener@gmail.com>: >> I was under the impression that's what truncate did, Jeffrey. > > No, truncate just chops it off at N characters, possibly in mid- > word. My code > truncates at whitespace, i.e., between words. (Or at least it does
> after the > correction I just posted.) > > Jeffrey

You really, REALLY ought to have tests for this:

class TruncateTest < Test::Unit::TestCase    def test_fits      str = "short"      assert_equal str, truncate(str, 10)    end

def test_backs_up_to_space      str = "short filibuster"      exp = "short ..."      assert_equal exp, truncate(str, 10)    end

def test_breaks_word_if_no_space      str = "antidisestablishmentarianism"      exp = "antidis..."      assert_equal exp, truncate(str, 10)    end

end

I didn't look back at your code so these tests might not actually be
the results that you want, but this ought to give you the right idea.

It's added to the TODO list. I'll start with your examples.

Thanks,   Jeffrey

Quoting Jeffrey L. Taylor <ror@abluz.dyndns.org>: [snip]

It's added to the TODO list. I'll start with your examples.

Done.