disabling rails changing the case of data

I'm trying to populate data from a database and assign the data to form.label. The data in the database is in all caps but when it is displayed in my browser it is first character upper and the rest lower. How can I keep the text in uppercase?

Daniel wrote:

I'm trying to populate data from a database and assign the data to form.label. The data in the database is in all caps but when it is displayed in my browser it is first character upper and the rest lower. How can I keep the text in uppercase?

Hi Daniel,

What is the relevant view code?

Peace, Phillip

Daniel wrote:

The f.label(subject.name) will change the case (which is in all caps) to first letter upper and the rest lower. What I'm displaying are acronyms and they need to be capitalized but the other words need their case to remain the same (upper and lower). So basically I want rails to ignore the case and just display it as is.

I guess the easiest answer is a simple question: must you use f.label? Why not just output the text with h? I hope this is not an obvious question. I have never actually used label.

Phillip

That was it! I'm currently learning Rails so most of my work is from a book right now. I have another question...I'm having a hard time learning how to work with checkboxes and I would like to be able to verify if a check box is checked after submitting a form and then to search the database using the index "id" of the checked box. Could you give me some direction using 'pseudo code' on how I can do this in Rails?

Here's what I have so far:

def enter_subjects     for selected_subject in params[:tutor_subjects]       if selected_subject == 1         @tutor_subject = TutorSubjects.new()         @tutor_subject.tutor_id = Tutors.find(:id, :conditions => "email = #session[:email]")         @tutor_subject.subject = Subjects.find(:name, :conditions => "id = #selected_subject")         if @tutor_subject.sav             redirect_to :action => "tutor_city"           else           flash[:notice] = 'Tutor was not created successfully.'           redirect_to :action => "tutor_city"         end       end     end   end

Daniel wrote:

That was it! I'm currently learning Rails so most of my work is from a book right now. I have another question...I'm having a hard time learning how to work with checkboxes and I would like to be able to verify if a check box is checked after submitting a form and then to search the database using the index "id" of the checked box. Could you give me some direction using 'pseudo code' on how I can do this in Rails?

On Jul 13, 6:12�pm, Phillip Koebbe <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

Hi Daniel,

Here's a quick example of working with a checkbox.

in a view file (I am using the Malline plugin for views, so you'll need to write this as ERb):

form_remote_tag(:url => {:controller => :welcome, :action => :check}, :update => :check_div) do   _check_box_tag :my_check, 'true'   _submit_tag 'Check' end

div.check_div! do end

Then in the controller:

def check   render :text => (params[:my_check] ? params[:my_check] == 'true' : 'Not present') end # check

Notice that I'm checking to see if my_check is part of params. This is because HTML forms do not send checkboxes that are not checked. This may not be the case for FormBuilder, though. So it might depend on whether you are using form_for or just form_tag (or the remote counter parts).

Peace, Phillip