Did rails or shoulda go insane on the inflection of 'taxes'?

I have a model ‘xp_jurisdiction_taxes’ which rails (3) created correctly.

Another model ‘xp_jurisdiction_states’ has many :xp_jurisdiction_taxes.

In my spec I am using a shoulda helper to test the association but get the following error. BTW, greped the whole project just in case and the string ‘taxi’ exists nowhere.

1. XpJurisdictionStates Failure/Error: it { should have_many(:xp_jurisdiction_taxes) } NameError: uninitialized constant XpJurisdictionStates::XpJurisdictionTaxis

./spec/models/xp_jurisdiction_states_spec.rb:4:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>’

Not sure if this is a rails or shoulda issue (I am starting to think it is shoulda). Any input?

Correction — I had originally misnamed the models by plural, however once fixed now, still same problem. I think this is a shoulda issue as I can associate and access the models and associations correctly in the console.

Correction --- I had originally misnamed the models by plural, however once fixed now, still same problem. I think this is a shoulda issue as I can associate and access the models and associations correctly in the console.

Can you confirm the model, association and table names please?

Colin

Correction — I had originally misnamed the models by plural, however once

fixed now, still same problem. I think this is a shoulda issue as I can

associate and access the models and associations correctly in the console.

Can you confirm the model, association and table names please?

Thanks Colin, here are the models and tables. Also to be sure went in to db console and verified the actual table names just in case something went awry. Also at bottom are the three rspec/shoulda errors. I have to be doing something wrong but if I am I don’t see it.

class XpJurisdictionState < ActiveRecord::Base

has_many :xp_jurisdiction_taxes

end

class XpJurisdictionTax < ActiveRecord::Base

belongs_to :account_subcode

belongs_to :xp_jurisdiction_states

end

create_table “xp_jurisdiction_states”, :force => true do |t|

t.string   "state_code"

t.string   "state"

t.string   "billing_item"

t.string   "billing_memo"

t.datetime "created_at"

t.datetime "updated_at"

end

create_table “xp_jurisdiction_taxes”, :force => true do |t|

t.integer  "xp_jurisdiction_state_id"

t.integer  "account_subcode_id"

t.decimal  "tax"

t.datetime "created_at"

t.datetime "updated_at"

end

public | xp_jurisdiction_states | table | postgres

public | xp_jurisdiction_states_id_seq | sequence | postgres

public | xp_jurisdiction_taxes | table | postgres

public | xp_jurisdiction_taxes_id_seq | sequence | postgres

1. AccountSubcode Failure/Error: it { should have_many(:xp_jurisdiction_taxes) } NameError: uninitialized constant AccountSubcode::XpJurisdictionTaxis

./spec/models/account_subcode_spec.rb:16:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>’

2. XpJurisdictionState Failure/Error: it { should have_many(:xp_jurisdiction_taxes) } NameError: uninitialized constant XpJurisdictionState::XpJurisdictionTaxis

./spec/models/xp_jurisdiction_state_spec.rb:4:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>’

3. XpJurisdictionTax Failure/Error: it { should belong_to(:xp_jurisdiction_states) } Expected XpJurisdictionTax to have a belongs_to association called xp_jurisdiction_states (XpJurisdictionTax does not have a xp_jurisdiction_states_id foreign key.)

... Thanks Colin, here are the models and tables. Also to be sure went in to db console and verified the actual table names just in case something went awry. Also at bottom are the three rspec/shoulda errors. I have to be doing something wrong but if I am I don't see it.

class XpJurisdictionState < ActiveRecord::Base has_many :xp_jurisdiction_taxes end

class XpJurisdictionTax < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :account_subcode belongs_to :xp_jurisdiction_states

that should be :xp_jurisdiction_state. It belongs to one state so singular.

end

create_table "xp_jurisdiction_states", :force => true do |t| t.string "state_code" t.string "state" t.string "billing_item" t.string "billing_memo" t.datetime "created_at" t.datetime "updated_at" end

create_table "xp_jurisdiction_taxes", :force => true do |t| t.integer "xp_jurisdiction_state_id" t.integer "account_subcode_id" t.decimal "tax" t.datetime "created_at" t.datetime "updated_at" end

public | xp_jurisdiction_states | table | postgres public | xp_jurisdiction_states_id_seq | sequence | postgres public | xp_jurisdiction_taxes | table | postgres public | xp_jurisdiction_taxes_id_seq | sequence | postgres

1) AccountSubcode Failure/Error: it { should have_many(:xp_jurisdiction_taxes) } NameError: uninitialized constant AccountSubcode::XpJurisdictionTaxis

If you run a console and type "tax".pluralize you will get "taxes" which is correct. However on rails 3.0.5 if I type "taxes".singularize I get taxis which is not what you want. I assume it is using the same rule as would apply for axis and axes. The solution is to specify your own rules for your xp_jurisidiction_tax and taxes and then you should be ok.

\# \./spec/models/account\_subcode\_spec\.rb:16:in \`block \(2 levels\) in &lt;top

(required)>'

2) XpJurisdictionState Failure/Error: it { should have_many(:xp_jurisdiction_taxes) } NameError: uninitialized constant XpJurisdictionState::XpJurisdictionTaxis # ./spec/models/xp_jurisdiction_state_spec.rb:4:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'

3) XpJurisdictionTax Failure/Error: it { should belong_to(:xp_jurisdiction_states) }

Again should be singular, so that explains that problem I think.

Colin

It looks like a plain old AR inflection error; you can see it in the console:

“tax”.pluralize

=> “taxes”

“taxes”.singularize

=> “taxis”

Rails stopped accepting inflection-related patches ages ago, but you can add more; google “adding activerecord inflections”. The rails docs have a few examples in the table_name method documentation: http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Base.html#method-c-table_name

Phil

… Thanks Colin, here are the models and tables. Also to be sure went in to db

console and verified the actual table names just in case something went

awry. Also at bottom are the three rspec/shoulda errors. I have to be doing

something wrong but if I am I don’t see it.

class XpJurisdictionState < ActiveRecord::Base

has_many :xp_jurisdiction_taxes

end

class XpJurisdictionTax < ActiveRecord::Base

belongs_to :account_subcode

belongs_to :xp_jurisdiction_states

that should be :xp_jurisdiction_state. It belongs to one state so singular.

Thanks (both Colin and Phil), fixed this above (duh). Also added to my inflections:

inflect.singular ‘taxes’, ‘tax’

So in the console:

ruby-1.9.2-p136 :002 > ‘taxes’.singularize => “tax”

and also plural: ruby-1.9.2-p136 :003 > ‘tax’.pluralize => “taxes”

BUT some piece of code is still deciding that I have ‘taxis’ and not ‘taxes’ — spec still failing:

1. AccountSubcode Failure/Error: it { should have_many(:xp_jurisdiction_taxes) }

NameError: uninitialized constant AccountSubcode::XpJurisdictionTaxis

./spec/models/account_subcode_spec.rb:16:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>’

2. XpJurisdictionState

Failure/Error: it { should have_many(:xp_jurisdiction_taxes) } NameError: uninitialized constant XpJurisdictionState::XpJurisdictionTaxis

./spec/models/xp_jurisdiction_state_spec.rb:4:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>’

So… all the important tests are failing but not my shoulda checks on my model relations. I can just drop these lines in my tests and be ok as other code is essentially checking these via its actions, but is leaving a mystery still open as to why. It seems to me that shoulda is doing something funky in determining what it expects, which on the surface seems strange (I mean, if I say the relation should be :xp_jurisdiction_taxes… there is nothing to infer… that symbol is the same in the shoulda/rspec and in the class it is testing…

Anyhow, if you all have any other input, appreciated. Seems to me next step will be to see if I can trace this through the shoulda source code, although not really in a place timewise right now…

... *BUT* some piece of code is still deciding that I have 'taxis' and not 'taxes' --- spec still failing:

1) AccountSubcode Failure/Error: it { should have_many(:xp_jurisdiction_taxes) } NameError: uninitialized constant AccountSubcode::XpJurisdictionTaxis # ./spec/models/account_subcode_spec.rb:16:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'

It seems as if shoulda is not picking up the inflections for some reason. I don't use shoulda, can you output debug during its execution? Is so what happens if you output "xp_jurisdiction_taxes".singularize and "taxes".singularize?

2) XpJurisdictionState Failure/Error: it { should have_many(:xp_jurisdiction_taxes) } NameError: uninitialized constant XpJurisdictionState::XpJurisdictionTaxis # ./spec/models/xp_jurisdiction_state_spec.rb:4:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'

So... all the important tests are failing but not my shoulda checks on my

I presume you meant passing rather than failing :slight_smile:

Colin

BUT some piece of code is still deciding that I have ‘taxis’ and not

‘taxes’ — spec still failing:

1. AccountSubcode
 Failure/Error: it { should have_many(:xp_jurisdiction_taxes) }
 NameError:
   uninitialized constant AccountSubcode::XpJurisdictionTaxis
 # ./spec/models/account_subcode_spec.rb:16:in `block (2 levels) in <top

(required)>’

It seems as if shoulda is not picking up the inflections for some

reason. I don’t use shoulda, can you output debug during its

execution? Is so what happens if you output

“xp_jurisdiction_taxes”.singularize and “taxes”.singularize?

Good question… and rails gets it right:

ruby-1.9.2-p136 :004 > ‘xp_jurisdiction_taxes’.singularize

=> “xp_jurisdiction_tax”

When I have a chance will start looking at the shoulda source…

1. XpJurisdictionState
 Failure/Error: it { should have_many(:xp_jurisdiction_taxes) }
 NameError:
   uninitialized constant XpJurisdictionState::XpJurisdictionTaxis
 # ./spec/models/xp_jurisdiction_state_spec.rb:4:in `block (2 levels) in

<top (required)>’

So… all the important tests are failing but not my shoulda checks on my

I presume you meant passing rather than failing :slight_smile:

Oh, yeah… everything else is working

I meant to output that during the test itself if possible, to make sure that the inflections have been picked up at that time.

Colin

… It seems as if shoulda is not picking up the inflections for some

reason. I don’t use shoulda, can you output debug during its

execution? Is so what happens if you output

“xp_jurisdiction_taxes”.singularize and “taxes”.singularize?

Good question… and rails gets it right:

ruby-1.9.2-p136 :004 > ‘xp_jurisdiction_taxes’.singularize

=> “xp_jurisdiction_tax”

I meant to output that during the test itself if possible, to make

sure that the inflections have been picked up at that time.

Good idea, sorry… so “puts ‘xp_jurisdiction_taxes’.singularize” while inside a spec (cant put it directly inside the shoulda call though) gives us:

xp_jurisdiction_tax

In that case it looks as if you are right about it being a shoulda issue, not using the inflections correctly.

Colin