Devise, Authlogic, & Restful Authorization

This is not a question but a mini-report to others who might be in my boat.

My application needed/needs the ability to authenticate a login via email.

There are Restful Authorization examples that claim to do this ... but I have not been able to successfully get it to work. I can get the email send out and the email responded to, but the sample code I trided to implement do not then "authorize" the user.

I also tried Authlogic. If there are hooks in there with the state machine such that an email could be sent out, I could not find it.

Finally I tried something call Devise ... which sits on top of Warden. Sample Devise code (with a bit of smtp massaging) pretty much worked right out of the box. That sample can be found at http://github.com/plataformatec/devise_example

Note that the example uses a user's email as a login id. Adding a login id and "hiding" the email when the user logs in is left as an exercise to the reader. I went through that exercise and it made me a bit familiar with the Devise internals. Some of the error messages are in the code ... others are in yml files.

It takes some doing to get it all installed. Nonetheless, I recommend Devise.

Caution: I'm a newbie to RoR so take my recommendation with a brick of salt.

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

I apologize to everyone for my spelling and grammar errors. I usually do a better job of proofreading.

Damn, I've been up too many hours.

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

My application needed/needs the ability to authenticate a login via email.

There are Restful Authorization examples that claim to do this ... but I have not been able to successfully get it to work. I can get the email send out and the email responded to, but the sample code I trided to implement do not then "authorize" the user.

I also tried Authlogic. If there are hooks in there with the state machine such that an email could be sent out, I could not find it.

You can do this with Authlogic, and I don't believe acts_as_state_machine is necessary. See of the rdoc for the various Authlogic ::Config modules has anything useful. Or you might need to use perishable_token.

Finally I tried something call Devise ... which sits on top of Warden. Sample Devise code (with a bit of smtp massaging) pretty much worked right out of the box. That sample can be found at http://github.com/plataformatec/devise_example

Note that the example uses a user's email as a login id. Adding a login id and "hiding" the email when the user logs in is left as an exercise to the reader. I went through that exercise and it made me a bit familiar with the Devise internals. Some of the error messages are in the code ... others are in yml files.

It takes some doing to get it all installed. Nonetheless, I recommend Devise.

Caution: I'm a newbie to RoR so take my recommendation with a brick of salt.

Then why are you even making it?

Seriously, don't give up on Authlogic. It's what most people are using these days. Check out Railscast #160 if you need an overview.

Best,