Develop using Rails in offline mode

Sai Kiran Mothe, Thank you, but I am just wondering, “what if I am in a remote area with no internet connection and want to play around with Rails”. I just need an answer for that

Basically a good idea is to list down the gems needed by my app and gems that I think I can use and then download them through “gem install” command.

After that I can play around without an internet connection?

:smiley:

Sai Kiran Mothe, Thank you, but I am just wondering, "what if I am in a remote area with no internet connection and want to play around with Rails". I just need an answer for that

Basically a good idea is to list down the gems needed by my app and gems that I think I can use and then download them through "gem install" command.

I think you'd need to be on a network for bundle to work. Once you've bundled an app, you can continue to work on it, but I doubt that bundler would work without a net -- the first thing it does is try to read the latest updates from rubygems.org. You can simulate this pretty easily by disabling all of your network and trying to run bundle update in an existing (working) application. See if it succeeds without giving up.

Walter

Yes, absolutely. Anyone who's ever worked on an app aboard a plane without WiFi can attest to that :slight_smile:

I think you'd need to be on a network for bundle to work.

For bundle install or update, yes, but not for e.g. bundle exec.

Yes, absolutely. Anyone who's ever worked on an app aboard a plane without WiFi can attest to that :slight_smile:

I think you'd need to be on a network for bundle to work.

For bundle install or update, yes, but not for e.g. bundle exec.

Yes, good point.

Walter

If got any error in middle of that.No one will be help you.if you have internet connection,the rails world is behind you to help out.

Think about it.

Thanks, Saikiran Mothe

I’ll just download the API documentation of the gems and some Rails guide + ebooks, then. If there’s a will there’s a way. I can always play around.

Thanks to all who replied “positively” to my question. :smiley:

Noted!