deploying Rails 2.02 app with Cap 2.2 - PID file problems

I'm deploying using the recipes laid out in Agile Development w/ Rails.

My app was deploying fine for about 3 months, now I have problems with PID files.

I get this error during the deploy: *** [err :: xx.xxx.xx.xxx] *** [err :: xx.xxx.xx.xxx] ** *** [err :: xx.xxx.xx.xxx] !!! Exiting with error. You must stop mongrel and cl ear the .pid before I'll attempt a start. *** [err :: xx.xxx.xx.xxx] *** [err :: xx.xxx.xx.xxx] ** Ruby version is not up-to-date; loading cgi_multip art_eof_fix *** [err :: xx.xxx.xx.xxx] ** !!! PID file tmp/pids/mongrel.8001.pid already exi sts. Mongrel could be running already. Check your log/mongrel. 8001.log for err ors. *** [err :: xx.xxx.xx.xxx] ** !!! Exiting with error. You must stop mongrel and clear the .pid before I'll attempt a start. ** [out :: xx.xxx.xx.xxx] stopping port 8000 ** [out :: xx.xxx.xx.xxx] stopping port 8001 ** [out :: xx.xxx.xx.xxx] starting port 8000 ** [out :: xx.xxx.xx.xxx] ** [out :: xx.xxx.xx.xxx] starting port 8001 ** [out :: xx.xxx.xx.xxx]     command finished

I often will have to delete the PID files and then do a deploy, but then it only creates the "8001" version, so I have to create the "8000" version, and then all is ok.

Any ideas?