Degrading to same URL

I hope this comes out clearly - I think I want to try and degrade to the same URL (Ajax vs non-Ajax)

It looks like (looking at a slide - http://codecite.com/presentation/ruby/rails/ajax_rails#22 ) the request goes into the same controller (makes sense so far) then the same partial gets called (here is where some confusion takes place)

If JS is turned off , then I suppose the partial (the form) must have a submit button. I guess I can also do some type of dom id thing where if js is on button not there and if off, button there ?

If JS is turned off, does using the form with the observe_form code intefere in any way ?

Stuart

You can use 'responds_to' or just 'request.xhr?' to see if the request is a post, get, or ajax call and then respond accordingly.

For example, if a submit was sent via a post, you could then redirect to a new page, while an ajax request would render an RJS template and update the original page.

Is this what you are trying to do?

_Kevin

Yes, that is the goal. However, right now my ajaxed form has no submit button, it has an observe_form in it. So not sure if that will work , as far as using the same form. This is my quandry.

Stuart

So, if I follow you correctly, you want to use the AJAX methods unless JS is turned off. In that case you want it to degrade to a standard form with a submit button?

One way to do this would be to let the page render with a button and then use AJAX or JS to remove the button. If no JS or AJAX, then it will stay there.

_Kevin

So until the button is pressed there is no way of knowing that the browser is JS enabled ?

Stuart