Date precedence validation (ex. Round Trip travel dates)

Hello,

I’m trying to validate 2 dates that were provided by the user using a form that wraps a model.

I want to do the following 2 validations in the model:

**** validate the date format => That I know how to do!

**** if the format validation was a success, then ensure that date1 is smaller or equal than date2 => That’s I do not know

I’ve spend, in vain, more than 2 hours to find a solution in order to understand:

** 1 ** How to trigger a second validation only if the first one was an success?

** 2 ** How to compare to dates using the macros in ActiveRecord?

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Axinte

Why not convert each date to Ruby Time objects and compare those?

--wpd

Hello, I'm trying to validate 2 dates that were provided by the user using a form that wraps a model. I want to do the following 2 validations in the model: **** validate the date format => That I know how to do! **** if the format validation was a success, then ensure that date1 is smaller or equal than date2 => That's I do not know I've spend, in vain, more than 2 hours to find a solution in order to understand: ** 1 ** How to trigger a second validation only if the first one was an success?

Not sure about this, you may have to provide your own validate method in the model rather than use the built in ones (or as well as)

** 2 ** How to compare to dates using the macros in ActiveRecord?

Assuming they are ruby Dates or Times or DateTimes just compare them using <= or whatever.

Colin