database.yml: encoding: utf8 does not work

Hi, you should be able to add the encoding as follows to the database.yml file:

encoding: UTF8

Let me know if this works for you.

-Conrad

Hi, it's allways helpful to supply any relevant files when asking a question about an error that one is receiving.

-Conrad

there are several places that can cause problems with utf-8 encoding. but some tricks are to:

1. make sure that every file in your project is utf-8 based (if you are using rad rails, this is simple to accomplish: mark your project, select properties, in the "text-file-encoding" box, select "other: utf-8")

Be sure to put in your strange "å,ä,ö" characters in your files again or you'll get a mysql error, because it will change your "å,ä,ö" to a "square" (unknown character)

2. in your databases.yml set for each server environment (in this example "development" with mysql)

development:   adapter: mysql   encoding: utf8

3. set a before filter in your application controller (application.rb):

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base   before_filter :set_charset   def set_charset     @headers["Content-Type"] = "text/html; charset=utf-8"   end end

4. be sure to set the encoding to utf-8 in your mysql (I've only used mysql.. so I don't know about other databases) for every table. If you use mySQL Administrator you can do like this: edit table, press the "table option" tab, change charset to "utf8" and collation to "utf8_general_ci"

uhmm.. that's all I can think of right now.