database changes aren't happening in callback before_destroy()

I have a model Model1 with the before_destory() method defined as
below.

def before_destroy
self.status = 'deleted'
self.save!
return false #don't want to delete the row.
end

But in the database the change in the status column doesn't get
changed to 'deleted'

I then tried this

def before_destory
self.status = 'deleted'
self.save!
n = Model1.find self.id #Set the breakpoint here in NetBeans IDE.
return false
end

I then checked the value of n.status and it was 'deleted', but in the
database it was still 'active' (the other value).

I also tried this

Controller1 < ApplicationController
def action1
  m = Model1.find params[:id]
  m.destroy
  n = Model1.find m.id #Set the breakpoint here
end
end

Even here the value of n.status was 'deleted', but in the database it
was the previous value. (Showed this example just to show that even in
controller I'm getting the same).

After a bit of of looking through Rails API, I found out that model
callbacks like before_destroy are transactional. so they get rolled
back if any error raised. So I tried this.

def before_destroy
self.status = 'deleted'
self.save!
raise self.errors.inspect
return false
end

The above code made sure that there are no errors attached, so
self.save! should run fine (or at least it should raise error!).
So I don't know now, why my changes are not being written to the
database. Is it because I'm returning false from the before_destroy()
method? If yes, then how can I save the changes made in before_destroy
() callback and also the row doesn't get deleted?

I'm using SQLite and I've also noticed that a 'development-journal'
file get created, while I've paused the code somewhere in between the
before_destroy() method. (That may be the transaction thing, I guess.)

I'm using -
Rails 2.2.2
SQLite 3.5.9
Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) x64

I have a model Model1 with the before_destory() method defined as
below.

def before_destroy
self.status = 'deleted'
self.save!
return false #don't want to delete the row.
end

But in the database the change in the status column doesn't get
changed to 'deleted'

I then tried this

def before_destory
self.status = 'deleted'
self.save!
n = Model1.find self.id #Set the breakpoint here in NetBeans IDE.
return false
end

Have you tried looking at development log to see exactly what queries
run ?

Fred

Yes, just what it should be - UPDATE "model1" SET "updated_at"
= .........., "status" = "deleted" WHERE id = 40
but still the database isn't reflecting that. Also I can not find any
transaction rollback specific information in the log, as this is the
last query to the database for that HTTP request.

Well, I can't find the problem, but I guess I have an alternative
solution, and that is to use a new method named Model1.make_deleted()
which does the deletion work. Also, then I should stop destory() from
being executed (by raising some kind of exception in before_destroy()
method).
I guess that shall do the work, but I'm still thinking if there is a
standard way of marking a row as deleted, while not actually deleting
the row, since the above solution doesn't seem to be in compliance
with Rails-way. (Callbacks are made for some purpose after all).