database and singularity issues

I'm writing my first rails app and following a tutorial to guide me. I really like what I see until.... I get to the part where it tells me I have to follow a certain naming scheme for my database. Here's my questions:

1. Do I HAVE to use plural table names?

I've been designing databases for years. I understand the logic for wanting to use plural names, but feel that singular names make more sense and as such have been designing my databases that way for years. Is there a workaround?

2. Do I HAVE to use the id naming standard.

It seems I was taught to name foreign keys with an FK_TableName. Well, I hate using underscores in column names. Also, the FK is lame. The naming scheme I use gives each table an primary key named "id". Any foreign keys are simply the name of the table which they represent. (Another reason why I wouldn't want to use plural names). Is there a way to implement this in Rails?

3. Assuming that there are workarounds for these, are they stable/feasible or would they be a constant nuisance? Am I better off to go with the Rails standards?

I appreciate your thoughts.

I'm writing my first rails app and following a tutorial to guide
me. I really like what I see until.... I get to the part where it tells me I have to follow a certain naming scheme for my database. Here's my questions:

1. Do I HAVE to use plural table names?

I've been designing databases for years. I understand the logic for wanting to use plural names, but feel that singular names make more sense and as such have been designing my databases that way for years. Is there a workaround?

You can set pluralize_table_names on classes (or on ActiveRecord::Base)

2. Do I HAVE to use the id naming standard.

It seems I was taught to name foreign keys with an FK_TableName.
Well, I hate using underscores in column names. Also, the FK is lame. The naming scheme I use gives each table an primary key named "id". Any foreign keys are simply the name of the table which they represent. (Another reason why I wouldn't want to use plural names). Is there a way to implement this in Rails?

For foreign keys you can call them whatever you want, but you'll have
to pass :foreign_key => 'blah' to all your associations If you end up with the association having the same name as the column,
i.e.

belongs_to :person, :foreign_key => 'person'

Then you're definitely skating on thin ice (because the association
accessor methods will overwrite the attribute methods and stuff like
that).

3. Assuming that there are workarounds for these, are they stable/feasible or would they be a constant nuisance? Am I better off to go with the Rails standards?

Most things can be made to work. I personally wouldn't choose to fight
Rails unless I had to (ie legacy database out of my control)

Fred