custom validation

i'm trying to use a custom validation but for some reason it's seems like it is just getting ignored.

in my model: before_save :validate

def validate     total_rank = 0

for compound_material in self.compound_materials       total_rank += self.item.rank     end

avg_rank = total_rank / self.compound_materials.length

max_rank = avg_rank + 4

if self.item.rank > max_rank        errors.add_to_base "The compound entered is not valid because it is greater than rank " + self.item.rank     end   end

anyone know what i should be doing differently?

i'm trying to use a custom validation but for some reason it's seems like it is just getting ignored.

in my model: before_save :validate

def validate    total_rank = 0

for compound_material in self.compound_materials      total_rank += self.item.rank    end

avg_rank = total_rank / self.compound_materials.length

max_rank = avg_rank + 4

if self.item.rank > max_rank       errors.add_to_base "The compound entered is not valid because it is greater than rank " + self.item.rank    end end

anyone know what i should be doing differently?

I believe that you need to return false from the filter in order to halt the save process.

A better solution would be to use validates_each

http://api.rubyonrails.com/classes/ActiveRecord/Validations/ClassMethods.html#M001045

I believe that you need to return false from the filter in order to halt the save process.

A better solution would be to use validates_each

Peak Obsession

thanks. returning false did the trick. I'm not sure if validate each will work in this case because I am not actually validating a field for this object. I was validating compound.item.rank.