Custom resource routes

Hi all,

this might be a dumb question, but how can you produce custom resource routes?

Lets say you want to add extra parameters in your url but you want your url to stay pritty?

edit_resource_path(:param1 => :value1, :param2 => :value2) => don't need an id in edit. new_resource_path(:param1 => :value1, :param2 => :value2)

This might produce something like resource/new?param1=value1&params2=value2

But the thing I want is more like resource/value1/value2/new

Is there a way to overwrite the custom resource routes?

thank you in advance

I didn't see anything like that in Rails Guides. Of course you can overwrite resource routes but you will lose those helpers. I think you can either be Restful or not. You can't go both ways. If you are Restful, you obey the rules. That's the whole point IMHO. Other people can understand the structure of your resource without knowing the internals of your application. Rails can guess the structure and create helpers for you. That's the bright side. And from the Rest point of view value1 and value2 belong exactly in the query string IMHO.

Art Shayderov wrote:

I didn't see anything like that in Rails Guides. Of course you can overwrite resource routes but you will lose those helpers. I think you can either be Restful or not. You can't go both ways. If you are Restful, you obey the rules. That's the whole point IMHO. Other people can understand the structure of your resource without knowing the internals of your application. Rails can guess the structure and create helpers for you. That's the bright side. And from the Rest point of view value1 and value2 belong exactly in the query string IMHO.

Well, I can understand the fact that value1 and value2 should belong in the query string. But lets state that those values are necessary to be able to use the REST interface, why not putting them along in the url then?

It would be nice also in the aspect of pritty urls.

Does anyone else know a workaround?