Cucumber installation problem

Hi to all,

I have managed to install many gems but cant seem to be able to install Cucumer. It produces the error that system cannot find the path specified. I am using Ruby 1.9.2 on windows 7. I tried installing gherkin and the same error occurred. I managed to install other gems such as rails, heroku etc from the same location using the same command (gem install *****). Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks,

Matias

Show us the exact command and error you are getting, copy it all from the terminal and paste it here.

Colin

C:\Users\Mathew\Downloads>gem install gherkin Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit... Building native extensions. This could take a while... The system cannot find the path specified. ERROR: Error installing gherkin:         ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

C:/Ruby192/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb checking for re.h... no checking for ruby/st.h... yes creating Makefile

Gem files will remain installed in C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/json-1.6. 1 for inspection. Results logged to C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/json-1.6.1/ext/json/ext/pa rser/gem_make.out

C:\Users\Mathew\Downloads>gem install gherkin Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit... Building native extensions. This could take a while... The system cannot find the path specified. ERROR: Error installing gherkin: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

Ah, you are on Windows, sorry I don't know then. Someone else?

By the way, rails development is much easier on Ubuntu (or similar) or Mac.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1027583:

Ah, you are on Windows, sorry I don't know then. Someone else?

By the way, rails development is much easier on Ubuntu (or similar) or Mac.

Colin

I tried using ubuntu as its also installed on my computer but i couldn't get the rails server running properly so decided to switch back since it used to work in windows :smiley:

If you installed RubyInstaller's DevKit and still have issues, you should check the troubleshooting page:

https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Troubleshooting#wiki-gems_fails_comspec_autorun

Have you tried http://railsinstaller.org/?

I used that on windows, but I prefer rails on ubuntu… maybe in the future I’ll buy a mac :smiley:

Okay I managed to install cucumber but faced another problem when i tried to install cucumber-rails. My cmd shows:

C:\Users\Mathew>gem install cucumber-rails Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit... Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: Error installing cucumber-rails:         ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

C:/Ruby192/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb checking for ffi.h... no checking for ffi.h in /usr/local/include... no checking for rb_thread_blocking_region()... yes checking for ruby_thread_has_gvl_p()... yes checking for ruby_native_thread_p()... yes checking for rb_thread_call_with_gvl()... yes creating extconf.h creating Makefile

make C:/Ruby192/bin/ruby -e "puts 'EXPORTS', 'Init_ffi_c'" > ffi_c-i386-mingw32.def gcc -I. -IC:/Ruby192/include/ruby-1.9.1/i386-mingw32 -I/C/Ruby192/include/ruby-1 .9.1/ruby/backward -I/C/Ruby192/include/ruby-1.9.1 -I. -DRUBY_EXTCONF_H=\"extcon f.h\" -O3 -g -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-parentheses -Wpointer-arith - Wwrite-strings -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-long-long -Wno-declaration-a fter-statement -o AbstractMemory.o -c AbstractMemory.c In file included from AbstractMemory.c:28:0: compat.h:65:20: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifndef directive compat.h:69:24: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifndef directive In file included from AbstractMemory.h:29:0,                  from AbstractMemory.c:29: Types.h:68:17: fatal error: ffi.h: No such file or directory compilation terminated. make: *** [AbstractMemory.o] Error 1

Gem files will remain installed in C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/ffi-1.0.1 0 for inspection. Results logged to C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/ffi1.0.10/ext/ffi_c/gem_make.out

Try adding

gem 'ffi','1.0.9'

To your gemfile, 1.1.0 has issues.

Wayne A. wrote in post #1027742:

Try adding

gem 'ffi','1.0.9'

To your gemfile, 1.1.0 has issue

Finally managed to install all the gems. I just added --platform Win32 to the end of the gem install cucumber-rails command and it worked fine. Thanks to all who answered to my questions.