creating xml files on the hard disk

I've written a rxml template. What must I write in my rails-controller to get xml files out of this - not displayed on the screen, but just saved on the hard disk? And where do I have to store the rxml file?

Well, if you already have a controller and the rxml template, then all you need do to get the xml written to the file system is to turn on page caching for that action. Check out the docs:

http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionController/Caching/Pages.html#M000110

There's also good coverage of caching in the agile rails book. Plus google will probably give you a lot of help too.

b

Luma wrote:

Hi,

I've written a rxml template. What must I write in my rails-controller to get xml files out of this - not displayed on the screen, but just saved on the hard disk? And where do I have to store the rxml file?

Actually, you could be doing it without using caching.......

class LaboratoryNotebookController < ApplicationController

def index     render :action => 'index.rxml'

fp = File.open RAILS_ROOT+"/myfile.xml", 'w+'     fp.write @response.body     fp.close   end

end

remember that XHTML is actually XML too, therefore, the rxml extension or the rhtml extension is not really important.....

This is a good idea. Now I tried to simulate a post request for the action "create_xml" like this:

xhr :post, :create_xml, :order => @order

But rails doesn't know the "xhr". Do I need to include "ActionController::TestProcess", and what is the syntax?

undefined method `xhr' for #<BestellContrController:0x4660374> RAILS_ROOT: ./script/../config/..

Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace #{RAILS_ROOT}/app/controllers/bestell_contr_controller.rb:19:in `save_order'

Thanks for help.

It works. Thanks to both of you!