Creating ToDo List App

Hi,

New Rails user here trying to create a basic todolist app in rails 3.2.6 and running into some foreign key issues. Here's what I did...

I generated scaffolds

list title:string & task description:text listname:string

Next, in order to link the listname for Tasks and the list titles in the Lists I generated a migration file which looks like this

class AddListIdToTasks < ActiveRecord::Migration   def change     add_column :tasks, :list_id, :integer   end end

I then added active record association has_many :tasks and for the Task I used belongs_to :list (, :foreign_key => "list_id)" - even though I think this last part was unnecessary).

Finally I ran rake db:migrate.

Now I have the table setup (checked it in SQLite Database Browser), but am running into errors interacting with my forms when I run the rails server. I know I have some problems with my views and have tried changing around the _form.html.erb and other .erb files to reflect :list_id as opposed to :list_name, but I can't figure out what I need to do to get the list id into the database table for the tasks. Any ideas or advice? Would be very much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

What you have shown us looks fine. Have you worked through some tutorials to show you how to do the basic operations. railstutorial.org is good and is free to use online. I am sure if you work right through that then you would have most of your questions answered.

Colin