creating new rails problem

I got everything to work. When I first tried:

rails new myApp

it created the app and then I ran:

rails server

that worked fine too with localhost:3000

but then I tried making another app, which was created but gave me a message stating that server is already running and then it exited. Therefore, my locahost wasn't working anymrore.

Then I did some fooling around and I think I just made it worse!!

here is where I am at now:

~$ rails new blog /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require': iconv will be deprecated in the future, use String#encode instead. /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/railties/lib/rails_generator/generators/applications/app/app_generator.rb:7: Use RbConfig instead of obsolete and deprecated Config.       exists       exists app/controllers       exists app/helpers       exists app/models       exists app/views/layouts       exists config/environments       exists config/initializers       exists config/locales       exists db       exists doc       exists lib       exists lib/tasks       exists log       exists public/images       exists public/javascripts       exists public/stylesheets       exists script/performance       exists test/fixtures       exists test/functional       exists test/integration       exists test/performance       exists test/unit       exists vendor       exists vendor/plugins       exists tmp/sessions       exists tmp/sockets       exists tmp/cache       exists tmp/pids    identical Rakefile    identical README    identical app/controllers/application_controller.rb    identical app/helpers/application_helper.rb    identical config/database.yml    identical config/routes.rb    identical config/locales/en.yml    identical db/seeds.rb    identical config/initializers/backtrace_silencers.rb    identical config/initializers/inflections.rb    identical config/initializers/mime_types.rb    identical config/initializers/new_rails_defaults.rb overwrite config/initializers/session_store.rb? (enter "h" for help) [Ynaqdh]

WHAT DO I DO!???

ruby 1.9.3p194 (2012-04-20 revision 35410) [i686-linux] Rails 2.3.14 rvm 1.26.10 (latest)

~$ gem -v 1.8.23

~$ which ruby /usr/bin/ruby

~$ which gem /usr/bin/gem

Please advise. THANKS!

T

If the error says the server is already running,

Can you go to temp/pids folder there you see a PID associated to the sever. Delete it and run again.

It should work.

... here is where I am at now:

~$ rails new blog /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require': iconv will be deprecated in the future, use String#encode instead. /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/railties/lib/rails_generator/generators/applications/app/app_generator.rb:7: Use RbConfig instead of obsolete and deprecated Config.       exists       exists app/controllers       exists app/helpers ...    identical config/initializers/mime_types.rb    identical config/initializers/new_rails_defaults.rb overwrite config/initializers/session_store.rb? (enter "h" for help) [Ynaqdh]

WHAT DO I DO!???

That means you are trying to create a new rails app in the folder blog, but there is already a rails app in that folder. If you want to throw it away and start again then delete the blog folder before doing rails new, otherwise use a name other than blog for your new one.

ruby 1.9.3p194 (2012-04-20 revision 35410) [i686-linux] Rails 2.3.14 rvm 1.26.10 (latest)

~$ gem -v 1.8.23

~$ which ruby /usr/bin/ruby

~$ which gem /usr/bin/gem

The fact that ruby is being picked up from the system location (rather than .rvm) means that you are not actually using rvm.

If you have not already done so then I suggest you work right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org (which is free to use online). That will show you the basics of rails.

Your problem with the server already running may mean that you ran rails s but have not shut down the server (Ctrl+C in the server window) before trying to start another one.

Colin

Colin

you have to press yes . then run rails s for stop server press ctrl-c, then gsin run it. hope you have got ur solution.

I tried all of your suggestions...I still get the same results

even after replying "y" twice:

overwrite config/initializers/session_store.rb? (enter "h" for help) [Ynaqdh] y        force config/initializers/session_store.rb overwrite config/initializers/cookie_verification_secret.rb? (enter "h" for help) [Ynaqdh] y        force config/initializers/cookie_verification_secret.rb    identical config/environment.rb    identical config/boot.rb    identical config/environments/production.rb    identical config/environments/development.rb    identical config/environments/test.rb    identical script/about    identical script/console    identical script/dbconsole    identical script/destroy    identical script/generate    identical script/runner    identical script/server    identical script/plugin    identical script/performance/benchmarker    identical script/performance/profiler    identical test/test_helper.rb    identical test/performance/browsing_test.rb    identical public/404.html    identical public/422.html    identical public/500.html    identical public/index.html    identical public/favicon.ico    identical public/robots.txt    identical public/images/rails.png    identical public/javascripts/prototype.js    identical public/javascripts/effects.js    identical public/javascripts/dragdrop.js    identical public/javascripts/controls.js    identical public/javascripts/application.js    identical doc/README_FOR_APP    identical log/server.log    identical log/production.log    identical log/development.log    identical log/test.log       exists vendor/rails

Blog was already deleted before I posted.

Is there another tmp folder hidden somewhere else?

thank you,

T

The output above says that's not true.

I tried rails new cows (new name) and i still get the same output :frowning:

I think you might be running an earlier version of rails where the command is 'rails project'. I am still working on a 2.3 system and what you see looks a lot like a 2.3 system. Try 'rails -v' to see the version.

Norm

So finally I was fed up and just decided to reinstall rails and now it works flawlessly!

Thank you soooo much for everyones time!

You live you learn!