creating hash and putting form content into it

I've got a form with fields of this naming convention: <Customer Info> First Name: <input type="text" name="customer[first_name]" ... Last Name: <input type="text" name="customer[last_name]" ... Address: <input type="text" name="customer[address_1]" ... City: <input type="text" name="customer[city]" ... State: <input type="text" name="customer[state]" ... <Billing Info> First Name: <input type="text" name="billing_address[first_name]"... Last Name: <input type="text" name="billing_address[last_name]"... Address: <input type="text" name="billing_address[address_1]"... City: <input type="text" name="billing_address[city]"... State: <input type="text" name="billing_address[state]"...

And I can successfully use params[:customer] to access all the customer items and params[:billing_address] for the billing info. And I can successfully use Hash(params[:customer]) to create a new customer and populate a table. The problem I'm having is if they identify that the billing info is the same as their customer info, then I want to put the customer info into a billing hash to use to update/create a record in the billing table. This code doesn't work for creating the hash (but doesn't generate an error either):

begin       billing_address_hash = Hash.new()       if (params[:different_billing_info] == "1")         billing_address_hash.merge(params[:billing_address])         #puts("\nDifferent: ", billing_address_hash.to_s)       else         billing_address_hash.merge(params[:customer])         #puts("\nSame: ", billing_address_hash.to_s)         # Remove customer fields not found in the billing address table         billing_address_hash.delete('status')         billing_address_hash.delete('email')       end     rescue       @error_message = "Unable to create billing address hash.<br>"       @request_completed = false       return     end

It just returns the initialized new billing_address_hash as empty. If I use Hash(params[:billing_address]) (or customer) in place for the parameter for merge, an error occurs and the error message is returned.

How do I get params data into a hash that the Hash merge method will take as a parameter?

The reason I'm doing something like this is that I have additional fields in the customer model that are not in the billing_address model. I'm assuming if I try to pass all the customer fields into the billing model, it will cause an error.

Jack wrote: :

begin       billing_address_hash = Hash.new()       if (params[:different_billing_info] == "1")         billing_address_hash.merge(params[:billing_address])         #puts("\nDifferent: ", billing_address_hash.to_s)       else         billing_address_hash.merge(params[:customer])         #puts("\nSame: ", billing_address_hash.to_s)         # Remove customer fields not found in the billing address table         billing_address_hash.delete('status')         billing_address_hash.delete('email')       end     rescue       @error_message = "Unable to create billing address hash.<br>"       @request_completed = false       return     end

It just returns the initialized new billing_address_hash as empty. If

Can you try with merge! instead of merge ?

Stephan

# irb

a = {:a => 1}; b = {:b => 2}

=> {:b=>2}

a.merge(b)

=> {:b=>2, :a=>1}

a

=> {:a=>1}

b

a.merge!(b)

a

b

Thanks Stephan. You at least pointed me to the correct method. merge returns a new hash, which I wasn't saving. But merge! adds content to the existing hash. I'm still getting an empty hash though using something like this:

billing_address_hash = Hash.new()     begin       if (params[:different_billing_info] == "1")         billing_address_hash.merge!(Hash[params[:billing_address]])         logger.info("\nDifferent: ", billing_address_hash.to_s)       else         billing_address_hash.merge!(Hash[params[:customer]])         logger.info("\nSame: ", billing_address_hash.to_s)         # Remove customer fields not found in the billing address table         billing_address_hash.delete('uva_status')         billing_address_hash.delete('email')       end     rescue       @error_message = "Unable to create billing address hash.<br>"       @request_completed = false       return     end

which baffles me because I use Hash[params[:customer]] to pass the form data to the customer model when creating a new one and it works just fine.

Jack wrote:

If you post more controller code, that should make it easier to track down.

Stephan

Here's the entire method that is when the form is submitted. Everything up to the billing_address_hash works. (Note: Before adding that section the last if construct, ie. @request.agency_id was functioning successfully when it was passed Hash[params[:billing_address]] as the last parameter. I needed to change this in the event an external customer did not include a separate billing address.)

# Save all the details entered for a request to the database, making sure to flag the order as unapproved   def save_details     # Set a flag to determine if the request data is all good if this method returns at the end     # without this value being modified.     @request_completed = true     @error_message = ''

# Get the form customer contact information.     form_customer = Customer.new(Hash[params[:customer]])     # Get/create the department's id to store in the customer record     form_department_name = params[:department_name]     form_customer.department_id = Department.get_id(form_department_name)     # Identify how the customer heard about the service.     form_heard_about_service_other = params[:heard_about_service_other]     form_customer.heard_about_service_id = HeardAboutService.existing_or_other_id(form_customer.heard_about_service_id,form_heard_about_service_other)     # Determine if this is a returning customer using the email address. If so then     # update their existing information. Otherwise create a new customer record.     existing_customer = Customer.find(:first, :conditions => ["email = ?", form_customer.email])     begin       if (existing_customer != nil)         existing_customer.update_attributes!(Hash[params[:customer]])         existing_customer.update_attributes!({'department_id' => form_customer.department_id, 'heard_about_service_id' => form_customer.heard_about_service_id})         @customer = existing_customer       else         form_customer.save!         @customer = form_customer       end     rescue       # If any error occurs when saving the customer information then the request submission fails       # since we need to be able to tie the request to a valid customer record.       @error_message += "Customer information could not be saved!<br>"       @request_completed = false       return     end

# Get the form's general order request info.     @request = Request.new(Hash[params[:order]])     @request.is_approved = 0     # Assign the customer's id to this new order     @request.customer_id = @customer.id     # Make sure the date due is formatted correctly before writing to the table     # parsedate returns an array with year, month, day as first three elements.     begin       date_due = ParseDate.parsedate(params[:order][:date_due],true)       @request.date_due = Date.new(date_due[0],date_due[1],date_due[2]).to_s + ' 17:00:00'     rescue # if an invalid date was entered set to nil       @request.date_due = nil     end     # Set the request date for the order to the current date and time     @request.date_request_submitted = Time.now.strftime("%Y-%m-%d %H: %M:%S")     # Make sure that external customers have the availability set to Public     if (@session[:computing_id] == 'External')       @request.availability = 'Public'     end     # Create a new request/order record.     begin       @request.save!     rescue       # If the request cannot be saved to the order table then we should not continue       @error_message += "Unable to create a new request at this time.<br>"       @request_completed = false       return     end

# NOTE: Before attempting to use the billing fields, determine if the billing info is different     # than the regular customer info. Because if the person affiliation is external then the billing     # address will be empty by default and the different billing address box not checked.     billing_address_hash = Hash.new()     begin       if (params[:different_billing_info] == "1")         billing_address_hash.merge!(Hash[params[:billing_address]])         logger.info("\nDifferent: ", billing_address_hash.to_s)       else         billing_address_hash.merge!(Hash[params[:customer]])         logger.info("\nSame: ", billing_address_hash.to_s)         # Remove customer fields not found in the billing address table         billing_address_hash.delete('status')         billing_address_hash.delete('email')       end     rescue       @error_message += "Unable to create billing address hash.<br>"       @request_completed = false       return     end

# If an agency was specified on the form then search/save the billing info as agency related.     # Otherwise it should be related to the customer.     if (@request.agency_id != nil)       @billing_address = BillingAddress.update_or_create('agency_id',@request.agency_id,billing_address_hash)       logger.info("\nBilling address update using agency")     else       @billing_address = BillingAddress.update_or_create('customer_id',@request.customer_id,billing_address_hash)       logger.info("\nBilling address update using customer")     end   end