Counter gem out there?

Hi,

My application is gradually being refined and it is becoming necessary to provide some statistics. I don't really want to add all of these into the main application logic since it is not critical. I would like to "observe" a bunch of models and classes and increment and decrement counters. So rather than have a bit of hideous AR finds to show me the number of orders by month I can observe the AR callbacks on event and increment "August 2011 Orders". I would also need to be able to reset via a Rake task or something similar.

Has someone come across a Gem that provides this sort of functionality before I go and write it?

O.

Owain wrote in post #1015933:

My application is gradually being refined and it is becoming necessary to provide some statistics. I don't really want to add all of these into the main application logic since it is not critical. I would like to "observe" a bunch of models and classes and increment and decrement counters. So rather than have a bit of hideous AR finds to show me the number of orders by month I can observe the AR callbacks on event and increment "August 2011 Orders". I would also need to be able to reset via a Rake task or something similar.

Has someone come across a Gem that provides this sort of functionality before I go and write it?

Unless there was a requirement for these statistics to be absolutely up-to-date at all times, I don't think I would track them with every change to the models being tracked. Instead, I would probably create a background process to periodically update the counts and store them in a separate "statistics" table. Essentially "mining" the statistical information rather than tracking it directly. This also provides an opportunity to flatten some of the relational data, which can dramatically improve query performance for reporting purposes.

Consider the example you mentioned; It seems likely that users would be interested in "August 2011 Orders" sometime in September, or later. It would also be likely that they would want to compare August with the results from August of the prior year.

Using data mining techniques these statistics could be provided retroactively, and it would also be possible to update the statistics on a completely separate process or even a separate server leaving your primary application servers free to serve user requests.

There are several gems that provide the infrastructure to build something like what I described. For example Github created their own solution, which they have open sourced called Resque:

This would also provide you the rake task for resetting, which would just enqueue another Resque job that you create.

+1 to what Robert suggested, *but* first I would define methods of the models to provide the stats you are looking for (or define a new statistics class that provides the methods) then initially just do them as AR queries. You have said these will be 'hideous' but they should not be difficult to code. This may apparently be an inefficient way to achieve the answers but it will be simple and will get you functioning (and testable) code quickly and easily. Then, in the fullness of time, if it becomes clear that they take too long to run, you can worry about optimising the execution by running data mining techniques as Robert has suggested. As these will involve refactoring of the methods you started with it will have minimal (if any) effect on the rest of the app.

Colin

Consider the example you mentioned; It seems likely that users would be interested in "August 2011 Orders" sometime in September, or later. It would also be likely that they would want to compare August with the results from August of the prior year.

Using data mining techniques these statistics could be provided retroactively, and it would also be possible to update the statistics on a completely separate process or even a separate server leaving your primary application servers free to serve user requests.

Rob

This was my starting position, i.e. download a load of data into some other tool (excel) and do the analysis there. I am looking for more real-time counters that can be used for a dashboard to graph order volumes and so forth so I really want it to be performant. Every time the user goes to order statistics I do not want to have to do a huge amount of DB access.

There are several gems that provide the infrastructure to build something like what I described. For example Github created their own solution, which they have open sourced called Resque:

GitHub - defunkt/resque: Moved to resque/resque

This would also provide you the rake task for resetting, which would just enqueue another Resque job that you create.

Resque is a background job queue, I currently use delayed_job for sending emails. Unless I am mistaken I am not sure this is really much help. I am not expecting to have to run the reset task that often so running it from the command line will suffice.

Colin,

That was exactly my first thought but I think the statistics are really just observing the application, not the application itself. So rather than having a whole load of class methods on the models to provide the data I can use an Observer class per model, or even better one Observer class that collects the statistics for all of the relevant models. So only the statistics Observer class ever changes as the requirements for the statistics changes over time.

The idea came from the article Counters Everywhere // RailsTips by John Nunemaker by John Nunemaker (I recommend his posts for some great ideas). He has coded this in a MongoDB environment, basically a key-value pair.

Here is some pseudo code not implemented,

class Amodel < ActiveRecord::Base   # nothing here end

class StatisticsObserver < ActiveRecord::Observer   observe Amodel #can you register more than one class per Observer or create a parent class for statistics?

def after_create(obj)     increment_counter(a)   end

def after_update(obj)     update_counter(a)   end end

So the counter (i.e. the key) would simply be based upon the object attributes concatenated with some sort of time derivative. So we could track sunday orders above a certain value by month and hide all of that logic in the Observer.

Then pulling the values of these counters should be easy for creating charts, reports and so forth.

O.