Correct way to exclude attributes from json serialization

Hi

I'm using Mongoid and Rails 3, and I want to serialize one of my mongoid documents to json for publishing via a controller, e.g.

class ReportController < ApplicationController     respond_to :json

def show         report = Report.where(:report_id => params[:id]).first         respond_with report     end end

This works ok, but pushes out every attribute on the document including the "internal" mongodb document id, e.g. :

{     _id: 54857324987546, // internal mongoid document id     report_field_a: 1,     report_field_b: 2,     etc }

I would like to strip this when serializing the report to json, and I would also like any embedded documents to have their _id properties excluded too. I have searched for info on as_json, to_json etc but I'm not sure which is the best practice approach. The closest I can get is:

class Report   include Mongoid::Document   ...   def as_json(options = {})     serializable_hash({ :except => :_id }.merge(options))   end end

...and then I need to copy that same as_json definition onto embedded document definitions too. Is this the rails 3 way of doing serialization customization?

I tried defining as_json as:

def as_json(options = {})     super({ :except => :_id }.merge(options))   end

but that doesn't return a hash as I was expecting, it seems to return the document itself. I'm not entirely sure what's happening there.

Any pointers are greatfully received!

Cheers Lee