Controlling or disabling cols, size etc. for text fields and text areas?

Hi, I'm new to rails and have hit a minor snag that google isn't helping with. Basically, I can't get text fields or text areas to not include size and cols attributes in the tags generated when using a form_for .... f.text_field ... etc within my view. This results in my applied styles being over ridden by the attribute values and, that kinda sucks. Of course I can set the attributes, but that seems ridiculous. How can I prevent these attributes from being generated so that the css can do it's rightful job? Thanks.

Bill

You can't, and shouldn't -- they're required; see <Forms in HTML documents;

That said, I've never had a problem applying CSS to tweak a textarea with those attributes, so perhaps you have a different issue?

HTH,

Basically, I can't get text fields or text areas to not include size and cols attributes in the tags generated when using a form_for .... f.text_field ... etc within my view. This results in my applied styles being over ridden by the attribute values and, that kinda sucks. Of course I can set the attributes, but that seems ridiculous. How can I prevent these attributes from being generated so that the css can do it's rightful job?

You can't, and shouldn't -- they're required; see <Forms in HTML documents;

yes, although leaving them off doesn't appear to cause problems. I think making them required is at odds with separating presentation over structure, however.

That said, I've never had a problem applying CSS to tweak a textarea with those attributes, so perhaps you have a different issue?

And you would again be correct...;-( After posting, I experimented some more and discovered the error; I had wrongly concluded that the attributes were over riding the styles. Thanks. Thanks.

hassan.schroeder wrote: