constructor in model

Hi all,

I have an activation model that when constructed should set the key (column in the activations table) to test.

class Activation < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :user

def initialize     this.key = "test"   end end

When i do ac = Activation.new I gget NoMethodError: You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! You might have expected an instance of Array. The error occurred while evaluating nil.include? from C:/rails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/ active_record/attribute_methods.rb:202:in `method_missing' from C:/Documents and Settings/AIR14607/My Documents/prive/rails/ TeamGeist/app/models/activation.rb:5:in `initialize'         from (irb):2:in `new'         from (irb):2

Someone knows why?

thanks

Hi all,

I have an activation model that when constructed should set the key (column in the activations table) to test.

class Activation < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :user

def initialize    this.key = "test" end end

When i do ac = Activation.new I gget NoMethodError: You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! You might have expected an instance of Array. The error occurred while evaluating nil.include? from C:/rails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/ active_record/attribute_methods.rb:202:in `method_missing' from C:/Documents and Settings/AIR14607/My Documents/prive/rails/ TeamGeist/app/models/activation.rb:5:in `initialize'        from (irb):2:in `new'        from (irb):2

Someone knows why?

You haven't called the superclass initialize

Fred

Is this something for which a before_create callback would work?

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsultingllc.com Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

I always use this syntax:

def initialize(params = nil)     super(nil)     self.whatever ||= "blarg"   end