Constantly Running a Script

Hello, I have a synchronization program built on InstantRails v1.6. I need to have an option that makes my program run daily at a certain time. Thus, I need a script or something that is constantly running and checking the time, then when the time is right, do the sync. Is there a way to do this with InstantRails?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, - Jeff Miller

Might want to read through some of these articles to set up a cron:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=cron+introduction&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Then you could put the cron script in the 'script' folder of your rails application and have it call whatever ruby file you need to run at a particular time. So for example, at 5 pm every night I want to write 'Closing Time!' to the error log:

Add this line to crontab to run at 5: 00 5 * * * root sh /path/to/your/rails/app/root/folder/foo.sh

In the sh file: ruby script/foo.rb run

And then in foo.rb you have whatever code you need, in our case: RAILS_DEFAULT_LOGGER.error(”\n Closing Time! \n”)

Hope this helps!

ESPNDev

That's more of an OS function than a rails function isn't it? So--on windows that'd be a scheduled task. Or do I misunderstand the goal?

I think Cron will work. I just have to flesh out everything around it before I test it. Thanks!!

I"ve been using rufus-scheduler with great results. It serves the same function as cron (run a job periodically), but is portable to windows and is ruby-centric, and efficient on resources since it's not reloading the rails environment each time a job runs.

http://rufus.rubyforge.org/

I've been trying to use the Rufus-Scheduler, but no luck so far with it. I have this in one of my controllers:

scheduler.schedule "* #{params[:month_time]} #{params[:month_date]} * *" do `ruby script/push2exchange.rb run` end

then the error I get is:

Errno::ENOENT in AutosyncController#index No such file or directory - crontab -l

I am running InstantRails 1.6 on Windows Server 2003. Is this error the result of it being on Windows? If so, how can I fix it?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, - Jeff Miller