Completely broken rails install on OSX

Hi

I am new to rails and I was trying to get version 2.1.1 installed so that I could run lovdbyless and play with Rails to see what it was like. When trying to install lovdbyless I kept getting problems when running "rake" so I looked around for an answer and did what the forums said, and then i'd get another error and i'd go through the same process. Now I am getting very strange errors that I can't find anyone else having so I really need some help!

I am on OSX 10.6.6.

Here's what happens:

$ rails -v -bash: /opt/local/bin/rails: /opt/local/bin/ruby: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

$ ruby -v -bash: ruby: command not found

$ sudo port install ruby ---> Computing dependencies for ruby ---> Cleaning ruby

$ sudo port install rails Error: Port rails not found

I am totally lost, so any help, even if it's just some instructions on deleting everything and starting again, would be very helpful.

Thanks so much! Ben

Hi, Ben,

Try RVM http://rvm.beginrescueend.com

Almost everyone uses it.

Andrei

I used this and worked like a charm:

Thanks Andrei

I had already installed RMV. I tried again and it seemed to install fine but now i get:

$ rvm list known -bash: rvm: command not found $ rvm install ruby-1.8.7-p160 -bash: rvm: command not found

I must be doing something stupid i know, but not sure what it is! (is it something to do with the difference between shell and bash?)

Thanks for your help Ben

shell and bash are the same thing

i tried rvm but had a couple of problems in mac since rvm is more linux oriented

and if u want to use the 1.8.7 its already installed in mac 10.6

I wonder if you added the required line to your .bash_profile file.

This is the line...

[[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && . "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" # This loads RVM into a shell session.

Check out the link on the rvm site... and scroll down to the "Post Install" section.

http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/rvm/install/

David

Johnny Mejias wrote in post #982828:

i tried rvm but had a couple of problems in mac since rvm is more linux oriented

What do you mean rvm is more linux oriented. I know a lot of people that use rvm just fine on Mac OS X. In fact it's been working great on the Mac for me.

shell and bash are the same thing

I've got rvm running fine on mac 10.6.6

I wonder if you added the required line to your .bash_profile file.

This is the line...

[[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && . "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" # This loads RVM into a shell session.

This is correct. Although you may not have a .bash_profile file on your mac, so add it to your home folder, with the line above added.

bash will then load rvm at startup and you should be able to use it fine and be on your way. Remember to close your shell window afterwards and restart it so that rvm gets loaded, or open a new shell.

Hi

I am new to rails and I was trying to get version 2.1.1 installed so that I could run lovdbyless and play with Rails to see what it was like. When trying to install lovdbyless I kept getting problems when running "rake" so I looked around for an answer and did what the forums said, and then i'd get another error and i'd go through the same process. Now I am getting very strange errors that I can't find anyone else having so I really need some help!

I am on OSX 10.6.6.

Here's what happens:

$ rails -v -bash: /opt/local/bin/rails: /opt/local/bin/ruby: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

$ ruby -v -bash: ruby: command not found

$ sudo port install ruby ---> Computing dependencies for ruby ---> Cleaning ruby

$ sudo port install rails Error: Port rails not found

You don't install rails that way. Rails and it's accompanying files are installed as ruby gems.

You should already have ruby 1.8.7 with mac 10.6.6 (as already mentioned), so if you are just experimenting at the moment to see if rails is something you want to work with (in which case rvm might be overkill initially), just open a shell and enter:

gem install rails VERSION=2.1.1

at the command prompt, and this will give you the rails version you need to get started.

If you want the latest version 3.0.4, just omit VERSION=*

However, I doubt you will get very far with setting up lovdbyless. I've just downloaded it and had a quick look. I think you are going to need, at the very least, a basic understanding of ruby and rails in order to get it functioning locally.

I also would not recommend it as a way of learning rails. It appears that lovedbyless is stuck way back on rails 2.1.1, and it has not been updated since 2008. Their big claim that it now runs on rails 2.2.2 is not that impressive. Rails is now at 3.0.4, so you may be better learning rails 3 right off the bat.

There are two good books which every newb should have:

AWDwR [1] (v4 is still in Beta but you can get the electronic version for $24 - along with all the updates released prior to printing - also, even after the paper book is released, you will still receive updates to your e-version when they are available)

Follow the tutorials in this to get an understanding of how everything fits together. It will also give you a basic intro to the ruby language.

Programming Ruby [2] (commonly known as the Pickaxe book) is also recommended if you want to increase your ruby knowledge further than AWDwR provides for.

Also checkout Railscasts [3] - they provide free instructional vids on all sorts of rails related topics.

[1] http://pragprog.com/titles/rails4/agile-web-development-with-rails [2] http://pragprog.com/titles/ruby3/programming-ruby-1-9 [3] http://railscasts.com/

We've all been newbs at one time or another, so good luck with it.

Paul

> Hi

> I am new to rails and I was trying to get version 2.1.1 installed so > that I could run lovdbyless and play with Rails to see what it was > like. When trying to install lovdbyless I kept getting problems when > running "rake" so I looked around for an answer and did what the > forums said, and then i'd get another error and i'd go through the > same process. Now I am getting very strange errors that I can't find > anyone else having so I really need some help!

> I am on OSX 10.6.6.

> Here's what happens:

> $ rails -v > -bash: /opt/local/bin/rails: /opt/local/bin/ruby: bad interpreter: No > such file or directory

> $ ruby -v > -bash: ruby: command not found

> $ sudo port install ruby > ---> Computing dependencies for ruby > ---> Cleaning ruby

> $ sudo port install rails > Error: Port rails not found

You don't install rails that way. Rails and it's accompanying files are installed as ruby gems.

You should already have ruby 1.8.7 with mac 10.6.6 (as already mentioned), so if you are just experimenting at the moment to see if rails is something you want to work with (in which case rvm might be overkill initially), just open a shell and enter:

gem install rails VERSION=2.1.1

should be:

gem install rails --version 2.1.1

sorry for the wrong info

Hi,

Try using RVM at (http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/)

rvm install 1.9.2 or rvm install jruby

More simple!