comparison of String with 0 failed

I've got an application that is supposed to track takings of events for a charity I work with.

I totally overlooked the fact that the takings would be floats not integers and I'm now fixing that. Unfortunately I've run into a problem.

I've already changed the columns in MySQL to floats, and I doubt this is the right way, but I've changed all my views, replacing

@taking.total

with

"%.2f" % @taking.total

Now the problem is that when the value of some departments are 0, I get the following error:

comparison of String with 0 failed

How should I be displaying these floats with the specified format? Is there a better way to do what I want?

Grateful for any insights into this.

Thanks and happy holidays

Matt

What are "takings"?? If you're referring to money, you shouldn't be using floats either -- see the doc for BigDecimal.

You might also be interested in the "money" gem.

FWIW,

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

What are "takings"?? If you're referring to money, you shouldn't be using floats either -- see the doc for BigDecimal.

Thanks for the reply,

I am dealing with money, and I do know there are problems with calculations and float accuracy. I have taken a quick look at the money gem and BigDecimal, but I don't see how they will do the job I want.

I think I'm in the holiday spirit too much to do math, but I've said I'll have this sorted :stuck_out_tongue:

I've done some testing and the error doesn't appear when just outputting the value in a view. I'm using the BarGraph helper[1], and it's only when I'm setting the values for the graph that I get the error.

[1]http://www.postal-code.com/binarycode/rails-bar-graph-helper-docs/

Thanks

Matt

I am dealing with money, and I do know there are problems with calculations and float accuracy. I have taken a quick look at the money gem and BigDecimal, but I don't see how they will do the job I want.

?? Not sure what that means, but there's no question you should use BigDecimal to represent a decimal value like money. Or to put it another way, there's no conceptual reason to use a Float for this. :slight_smile:

I've done some testing and the error doesn't appear when just outputting the value in a view. I'm using the BarGraph helper[1], and it's only when I'm setting the values for the graph that I get the error.

Ah, OK. That helper is apparently using the supplied input values as numbers to generate the graph. Trying to turn a value into a String at that point is definitely going to cause the failure you're seeing.

If you want a decimal number like "100.00" to /display/ in the view, I think you'll need to change the helper. Bummer that there don't seem to be any tests for it.

HTH, and good luck!

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

?? Not sure what that means, but there's no question you should use BigDecimal to represent a decimal value like money. Or to put it another way, there's no conceptual reason to use a Float for this. :slight_smile:

I am just unsure about using BigDecimal. I can see it is better to use than a float, but how would that work with the database? I can create float columns but not BigDecimal i believe. Would I need to store the values as floats in MySQL but then convert to BigDecimal later?

Ah, OK. That helper is apparently using the supplied input values as numbers to generate the graph. Trying to turn a value into a String at that point is definitely going to cause the failure you're seeing.

If you want a decimal number like "100.00" to /display/ in the view, I think you'll need to change the helper. Bummer that there don't seem to be any tests for it.

Thanks, I have hacked around in the helper and have got it to convert the values after they are processed.

HTH, and good luck!

Now, it does what I want, but I will keep looking around BigDecimal.

Thanks

Matt

I am just unsure about using BigDecimal. I can see it is better to use than a float, but how would that work with the database? I can create float columns but not BigDecimal i believe. Would I need to store the values as floats in MySQL but then convert to BigDecimal later?

Nope, MySQL has a decimal data type.

Thanks, I have hacked around in the helper and have got it to convert the values after they are processed.

Yeah, I was looking at that, but got distracted by present unwrapping. :slight_smile: Glad you found a fix/workaround.

Happy holidays!

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

Excellent, I'll have a play :slight_smile:

Yeah, I was looking at that, but got distracted by present unwrapping. :slight_smile: Glad you found a fix/workaround.

Haha, well it'll do until the next release :slight_smile:

Happy holidays!

You too

Matt

You may want to give it extra precision, depending on how you'll be using it. I have mine at 8,3 to avoid losing an occasional penny during interest calculations, though for some (most?) applications it's better to allow that to happen.

In mine if I have a block of accounts totaling, say, $100,000, it should produce a certain amount of interest. But in calculating each account individually it most likely won't come out to the expected amount unless I can have fractions of pennies.

Harry Bailey wrote:

Excellent, I'll have a play :slight_smile:

You may want to give it extra precision, depending on how you'll be using it. I have mine at 8,3 to avoid losing an occasional penny during interest calculations, though for some (most?) applications it's better to allow that to happen.

In mine if I have a block of accounts totaling, say, $100,000, it should produce a certain amount of interest. But in calculating each account individually it most likely won't come out to the expected amount unless I can have fractions of pennies.

Thanks for the reply, its nice to have some input on the usage.

The application I'm working on is for a very small charity, the numbers rarely get larger than 500 and calculations are very simple (addition for the event totals).

I'm going to put together a test app so I can play with the new type, I'm demoing the production app next week I hope so I'll probably look to implement it late jan, plenty of time to fiddle :slight_smile:

Matt