Commit every Nth INSERT in migration

Using AR create() is just horribly slow. You'll get significant improvement by batching like Trevor showed (not sure why the way you were doing it didn't work).

But for batch loads, you don't need all the extra stuff AR is doing. I would suggest building up your own SQL, which isn't hard to do. You can still use the AR connection.

Try something along these lines:

BATCH_SIZE = 250   cols = "postal_code,country_id,city,latitude,longitude,state_id"   conn = ZipCode.connection   FasterCSV.read('input.csv').each_slice(BATCH_SIZE) do |batch|     values = batch.map {|row| "(#{row.map \       {|col| conn.quote(col)}.join(',')})"}     sql = "insert into zip_codes (#{cols}) values #{values}"     conn.execute sql   end

I'm just building up a properly quoted insert statement (multiple rows inserted in one statement, which is MySQL-specific, but hey...)

My own testing shows this to be about 12-15x faster than using AR create() in batches of 250 rows, and 50-60x faster than AR create() with commits after each row.

So AR sucks and Ruby sucks or whatever. But something like this will get your data loaded quickly. If you need to load truly huge amounts of data you're probably better off using database specific bulk loading tools.