Collection management on form updates - problem with updating

I have an AR descendant (job.rb) that contains a collection of other AR models.

has_many :target_lists, :through => :job_list_associations, :source => :target_list

I have a form that I use to update the target_lists array.

Here are the two methods for "target_list_ids" which I use to manage the form data for job.

def target_list_ids     ids = Array.new     self.target_lists.each do |list|        ids << list.DataSetID     end     ids   end

public   def target_list_ids=(list_array)     #self.target_lists = Array.new - WHY DOES THIS CAUSE PROBLEMS?!!?!!?     self.target_lists.clear     list_array.each do |id|       self.target_lists << TargetList.find(id)     end   end

On the post, when target_list_ids is called, if I use "clear" on the target_lists array and then set whatever came in on the form, everything works fine and I see my changes on the form.

However, if I try to assign self.target_lists to a new Array object and do the setting, I never see the changes. When the form redisplays (assuming another error on the page, I see the form without any list changes I made).

This _almost_ makes sense to me, but I wondered if someone could explain why setting self.target_lists to be a new Array object seems to ensure that none of the changes are stored in the job object. Is it because the "attribute" target_lists is not being updated when I create the new array? And if I simply manipulate the existing collection (via clear), I'm directly updating the "attribute" target_lists?

Thanks, Wes