Collaborating: Migration issues

Hi all,

we are a team of 4 working on the same project. we all use linux/ubuntu-edgy and SVN from versioning.

The problem is when 2 or more of us create migrations, than the ident of the migration file created is the same (e.g 11_create_users.rb) than we have a duplicate number while db:migrate'ing.

The only idea i came across is to appoint only one person as the migrator (hihi) and only he will create the migrations upon request.

any other ideas?

This thread might have useful information in it:

http://ruby-forum.com/topic/71137

} } Hi all, } } we are a team of 4 working on the same project. we all use } linux/ubuntu-edgy and SVN from versioning. } } The problem is when 2 or more of us create migrations, than the ident } of the migration file created is the same (e.g 11_create_users.rb) than } we have a duplicate number while db:migrate'ing. } } The only idea i came across is to appoint only one person as the } migrator (hihi) and only he will create the migrations upon request. } } any other ideas?

There's a simple and stupid way, but it only works if you stick to it. Put a file with the list of migration files into db/migrate. When creating a migration (or more than one) append the names to this file. Make sure you commit both the migration(s) and the file list together. If someone else has created a migration, your commit will fail with a conflict on the file list.

I'll say it once again because it's important: this only works if everyone does it dependably.

--Greg

modify the migration generator to append the name to that file?

-faisal