Clilking on a link should replace that link with a form...

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Ruby and JS, and there is a problem I'm trying to solve: I need a link that, when clicked, transforms into a form for inputting data. I have next code:

(show.html.erb) <div id="new_journal">     <%= link_to_remote 'New Journal',       :url => { :action => :expand_create_form, :controller => :journals, :user_id => @user.id } %> </div>

(expand_create_form.js.rjs) page[:new_journal].replace_html :partial => "create",   :object => @user

The problem is I don't want to use the controller, is there some shortcut to call rjs code when user clicks on "New Journal" link?

You could do something like this:

<%= link_to_function 'New Journal', "Element.replace(this, #{ render (:partial => "create",   :object => @user).inspect})"%>

check here for some gotchas with rendering partials this way: http://tracesof.blogspot.com/2009/02/rails-partials-in-javascript-functions.html

Maybe a much nicer solution in this case would be to render the form in a hidden div below the link and then just hide the link and un-hide the form when the link is clicked. Like so:

<div id="new_journal">     <%= link_to_function 'New Journal', "this.hide(); $ ('new_journal_form').show()" %>

<div id="new_journal_form" style="display:none">          <%= render :partial => "create", :object => @user %>     </div> </div>

Ha, just thought of a much better way:

(show.html.erb) <div id="new_journal">     <%= link_to_function 'New Journal' do |page|         page[:new_journal].replace_html :partial => "create", :object => @user     end %> </div>

Why are you opposed to using the controller?

In any case, you can drop the RJS into app/views/journals/ expand_create_form.js.rjs and it should work. That *is* the shortcut...

--Matt Jones

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Ruby and JS, and there is a problem I'm trying to solve: I need a link that, when clicked, transforms into a form for inputting data. I have next code: