cattr_accessor

I’d just asked this not long ago :slight_smile: - here’s a copy/paste of the reponse from David

Hi –

Had a quick look at this (e.g. cattr_reader - extract below) - still I little unclear to me. Do you think you could run what “cattr_accessor” does in layman’s terms at all? e.g. difference between class & instant

aspects. (sorry - the penny hasn’t dropped yet :slight_smile: )

In layman’s terms, I’d describe it as, “A computer programming thing” :slight_smile: But here’s a somewhat super-layman explanation.

Ruby has an attr_* family of methods:

class C attr_accessor :x attr_reader :y attr_writer :z end

These attr_* methods are meta-methods; that is, calling them actually

results in the automatic creation of other methods. In the example above, instances of C will have the following methods:

x # reader x= # writer y # reader z= # writer

The idea is to provide a convenient way to get and/or set state in an object:

c = C.new c.x = 1 # actually a call to the x= method! puts c.x # a call to the x method

The way this works is that the reader and writer methods (x, x=, etc.)

store/retrieve values in/from instance variables. If you wrote them out, the methods that the attr_* methods create for you would look like this:

class C def x # read “attribute” (i.e ., value of instance variable) @x end

def x=(value)  # set "attribute" (i.e., set instance variable)
   @x = value
 end

def y
   @y
 end

def z=(value)
   @z = value
 end

end

In addition to instance variables, Ruby has class variables. The purpose of the cattr_* methods is to provide a mechanism exactly like the above – but using class variables instead of instance variables.

Furthermore, the set/get operations are available both to instances of the class, and to the class itself:

class D cattr_accessor :a end

d = D.new d.a = 1 # set via an instance

puts D.a # get via the class

So it’s just a kind of elaboration of the original Ruby attribute implementation. To get both the class and its instances to know about the get and set methods, there have to be two of each. So this is

what the expanded version of the last example looks like:

class D def self.a # class get method @@a end

def self.a=(value)  # class set method
   @@a = value

end

def a            # instance get method
   @@a
 end

def a=(value)    # instance set method
   @@a = value
 end

end

I personally consider “cattr” (class attribute) a misnomer.

“Attribute” suggests a property of an object. Class variables do not map onto the state of any particular object; they are visible to a given class, all of its subclasses, and all of the instances of itself

and those subclasses. So when you save a value in a class variable, it’s a considerable stretch to refer to it as an “attribute”. But anyway, the above is how it works and what it does.

David

It seems odd that cattr_* is not in the native Ruby and that you have to require active support and rubygems to get this to work. Why is this not built in the native Ruby source?

Hi --