Category can't be blank

Hi,

I'm trying to create a new product and associate a category with the new product. The categories are loaded into a form select field. When I try try to create a new product, I get the error: * Category can't be blank

My form code in _form.rhtml is: ... <p><label for="product_category">Category</label><br/> <%= collection_select :product, :category_id, @categories, :id, :name, :prompt => "Select a Category" %></p> ...

My product_controller.rb is: ... def new     load_data     @product = Product.new   end

def create     @product = Product.new(params[:product])     if @product.save       flash[:notice] = 'Product was successfully created.'       redirect_to :action => 'list'     else       load_data       render :action => 'new'     end   end ... private

def load_data       @categories = Category.find(:all)     end ...

My product.rb model is: class Product < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :categories

file_column :product_image

validates_length_of :title, :in => 1..255   validates_presence_of :category   validates_numericality_of :price   validates_format_of :sku, :with => /[0-9\-xX]{9}/   validates_uniqueness_of :sku end

Please help. Thanks, Elle

Also, for some reason (maybe it's the reason the above doesn't work) is that I get this error: undefined method `category' for #<Product:0x344b170> when I'm trying to define: product.category.name

Why can't it see the category's name that is related to the product?

Any help? Please?

Elle

Thank you for trying to help me.

My category.rb model is: class Category < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :products

validates_length_of :name, :in => 2..255   validates_uniqueness_of :name end

and the table is really simple. It only has 2 columns: id and name. Any ideas?

Elle

Jamal, you are a life saver. Thank you so much. Elle

Hi elle,

Rails save method as you are using it will only save the selected id key from category into the category_id field in your Product table but will not save the category name into the "category" field.

So validates_presence_of :category in your Product model will give an error because there is no data saved into the category field.

You can check this by looking in your database table and you will see no data in the category field but the id field has the category id.

Try your code without the validates_presence_of :category.

I am very new to Rails - a few weeks!!! so I dont have the complete answer - I hope this piece is helpful. I also have the same problem and must find a way of populating my category name field as well as the id field!!

Any helpers??

euro