Case of lost milliseconds

Can anyone explain where are the milliseconds getting lost -

Completed 200 OK in 438ms (Views: 145.0ms | ActiveRecord: 15.0ms)

Completed 200 OK in 378ms (Views: 206.0ms | ActiveRecord: 2.0ms)

Completed 200 OK in 275ms (Views: 62.0ms | ActiveRecord: 35.0ms)

This is by far the most time consuming part of the entire request so I am hoping to explore more.

Any advice, comments please!

This is by far the most time consuming part of the entire request so I am hoping to explore more.

Have a look at the Rails Guide on performance testing for useful information and techniques. Also google for rails profile for further ideas.

Colin

I was hoping to take a shortcut by asking about a very very specific case. There must be some opinions out there about what all goes on regarding this one and only one item of interest.

I was hoping to take a shortcut by asking about a very very specific case. There must be some opinions out there about what all goes on regarding this one and only one item of interest.

Since you have not quoted the previous post I have had to look back at previous posts to remind myself what the question is. Remember this is a mailing list not a forum, though you may be accessing it via a forum-like interface.

I think there is no shortcut. As I understand it the log tells you the time in ActiveRecord and the time in the views. All the rest is all the rest. It is not trivial to work out how much is where, hence the links I posted.

Colin

This is by far the most time consuming part of the entire request so I

am hoping to explore more.

Views & ActiveRecord don’t include time spent in the routing stack or in evaluating your controller or model code (other than then actual sql queries) or querying other datastores (mongo, elasticsearch, solr etc.)

Fred