Can't seem to export MySQLDump and then import MySQLImport?

I've got my applications running on a server that backs up every hour using MySQLdump. My goal is to take this 'dump' and re-import it into my desktop computer using MySQLAdministrator. I go through the procedure of restoring this 'backup.sql' file and it grinds for some time as though something is happening...and then nothing?? There are no error messages...just no tables in the empty database that was supposed to have been restored. It is important to point out here that I can accomplish the backup/restore for any MySQL applications on my desktop computer, just fine. I find in the MySQL folder a ibdata1, ib_logfile0 and ib_logfile1 that are VERY large but they are binary and I have no idea what 'jewels of wisdom' they might offer. Is there anyone out there that could share some insight in how they would restore (partially or full) a backup into their production database? I worry that some crazy person could attack my site with dirty language that I'd have to clean up. Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts. Kathleen

KathysKode@gmail.com wrote:

I've got my applications running on a server that backs up every hour using MySQLdump. My goal is to take this 'dump' and re-import it into my desktop computer using MySQLAdministrator. I go through the procedure of restoring this 'backup.sql' file and it grinds for some time as though something is happening...and then nothing??

<snip> Hi

Have you tried using the command line client? The command would look like so:

mysql -u *username* -h *hostname* -p *databasename* < backup.sql

Where *username* must be replaced with your username, *hostname* can be replaced with a hostname or left blank if the db is on localhost, and *databasename* must be replaced with your databasename.

By running this, you may see some warning messages that are not apparent from the Administrator tool.

Otherwise, you can perhaps try posting a small snippet of the backup file (if you feel comfortable doing it) - and we can have a look-see.

R