Can't mass-assign protected attributes even if I use attr_accessible

Hi,

I'm working on a Rails 3.2.2 application which has JSON APIs and I use a CLI client for inserting some data. It works fine except for the Author model. When I try to create a new post (Post belongs_to :author and Author has_many :posts) I get the following error :

<h1>       ActiveModel::MassAssignmentSecurity::Error in PostsController#create     </h1>     <pre>Can't mass-assign protected attributes: name</pre>

I did lots of searches on the topic but I found no working solution :frowning:

I use attr_accessible to avoid MassAssignent errors and it works for all others models but not for the "Author" name attribute.

Here is the Author model :

class Author < ActiveRecord::Base       attr_accessible :name, :email

extend FriendlyId       friendly_id :name, use: :slugged

# some validations

has_many :posts       #authlogic       acts_as_authentic

# some stuffs     end

Actually, I have disabled whitelist_attributes and it solved my problem but I suppose that is not the convenient way to do this (and probably not a good idea).

My question is : Why the attr_accessible does not work here ? And how can I solve the problem without disabling the whitelist ?

Thank you,

Revan

I found the solution ! :slight_smile:

The problem was that I used acts_as_taggable_on_steroids plugin which does not work on Rails 3.2 ...

Since "Author" is the only model which has a :name attribute, I thought that the problem came from Author ... but the problem was in the Tag model (which is in the acts_as_taggable_on_steroid plugin). Indeed, its :name attribute is not "accessible".

So, I use the acts_as_taggable_on gem (GitHub - mbleigh/acts-as-taggable-on: A tagging plugin for Rails applications that allows for custom tagging along dynamic contexts.) which correctly works on Rails 3.x