can't install rails - gem is asking for a zlib

Hey all, this is my first attempt with rails....

This what is happening:

me@mypc:~$ ruby -v ruby 1.9.2p0 (2010-08-18 revision 29036) [i686-linux] me@mypc:~$ gem -v 1.3.7

so, ok let's install rails:

me@mypc:~$ gem install rails ERROR: Loading command: install (LoadError)     no such file to load -- zlib ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)     uninitialized constant Gem::Commands::InstallCommand

:frowning:

I've searched in google, forums, etc.. but I couldn't find a good answer for my problem, so I'm here.

Thanks in advance for your time. cheers!

check if exist the file zlib.dll in ruby’s bin folder.

Hugo Roque wrote:

check if exist the file zlib.dll in ruby's bin folder.

-- * Hugo Roque *

*Twitter**:* http://twitter.com/Hugolnx *Email:* hugo.roque@caelum.com.br *Github:* HugoLnx (HugoLnx) · GitHub *Celular:* 8641-1271 *Blog:* http://hugolnx.wordpress.com/

Hi Hugo, thanks for your answer, but I'm using Ubuntu, so I don't have dll's. Thanks anyway.

Ah, Ubuntu, cool :wink:

than try:

sudo gem install rails

+your password

I saw you tried on Ruby 1.9 If you are new, I think the best is the default, easiest way. First try it from Synaptic, and with the latest stable versions, but as you wish.

I had plenty of problems installing Rails on Ubuntu, so if you still cannot install it well, please let me know, or also you can find me in private.

good luck,

gezope

That probably means you don't have the zlib package installed. Make sure you install the dev headers.

Then go back to where you built Ruby, cd to ext/zlib, and run "ruby extconf.rb; make; sudo make install".

If you're using the Debian package for Ruby, I think the zlib library was broken out into its own package that you'll need to install.

Regards,

Dan

Zoltan Gero wrote:

Ah, Ubuntu, cool :wink:

than try: *sudo** gem install rails* +your password

I saw you tried on Ruby 1.9 If you are new, I think the best is the default, easiest way. First try it from Synaptic, and with the latest stable versions, but as you wish.

I had plenty of problems installing Rails on Ubuntu, so if you still cannot install it well, please let me know, or also you can find me in private. good luck, gezope

hey gezope! I could solve my problem! my mistake was don't make a "clean compilation" after install the zlib library. So thanks for your quick answer anyway, I'm on rails now :slight_smile:

Congratulations! Excellent :slight_smile: If you have any further question, just ask it,

all the bests,

gezope

Hey guys, I'm having this same zlib problem on gems. See my output below for what I have installed, and the error I get when I try and run any gem commands. Also as you can see I have zlib[devel] installed. Some one mentioned something about the headers being installed with zlib??? I'm not sure I know what that means...could someone enlighten me? Any help appreciated...thanx!

[root@dhcp226-12 ruby-1.9.2-p136]# ruby -v ruby 1.9.2p136 (2010-12-25 revision 30365) [i686-linux] [root@dhcp226-12 ruby-1.9.2-p136]# gem -v 1.3.7 [root@dhcp226-12 ruby-1.9.2-p136]# rails -v Rails 2.3.5 [root@dhcp226-12 ruby-1.9.2-p136]# gem install rails ERROR: Loading command: install (LoadError)     no such file to load -- zlib ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)     uninitialized constant Gem::Commands::InstallCommand [root@dhcp226-12 ruby-1.9.2-p136]# yum install zlib zlib-devel Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit Setting up Install Process Package zlib-1.2.3-23.fc12.i686 already installed and latest version Package zlib-devel-1.2.3-23.fc12.i686 already installed and latest version Nothing to do

Zoltan Gero wrote in post #937552:

Hey guys, I'm having this same zlib problem on gems. See my output below for what I have installed, and the error I get when I try and run any gem commands. Also as you can see I have zlib[devel] installed. Some one mentioned something about the headers being installed with zlib??? I'm not sure I know what that means...could someone enlighten me? Any help appreciated...thanx!

On Ubuntu 10.04 I install zlib1g and zlib1g-dev.

Colin

...hey Colin, thanx for the reply. Yes, I have zlib and zlib-devl installed.

Colin Law wrote in post #971034:

...hey Colin, thanx for the reply. Yes, I have zlib and zlib-devl installed.

Yes, I knew that. I was making the point that on Ubuntu it is zlib1 and zlib1g-dev in case it is relevant. I realise that it may not be relevant on your OS.

Colin

Hi, not sure if I got it well: so you do have Ruby1.9, Gem1.3.7 but only Rails version 2.3.5, now you want to update, right? On Ubuntu try this: "gem update rails" If you have permission problems then "sudo gem update rails" except if you have RVM installed, then don't use sudo when installing gem. Then make a cleanup "gem cleanup" Troubleshhot: "rails -v" should be 3<

Someone told me he only could solve his Zlib problem with RVM, because it has a package for it: http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/packages/zlib/ I really recommend to use RVM, because you can prevent later problems also. Let me know if you have further problems, good luck, Zoli

...hey Z, thanx for the reply. 'gem cleanup' does work, but when I try 'gem install rails' I get the zlib error below. I can't seem to install any gems due to the zlib problem. I looked into rvm, but I can't see to get that installed. I am using Fedora, so I used yum to install rvm, but can't seem to get that working either. rvm doesn't seem to be in my path, and I can find an executable for it in the .rvm folder. I'm going to continue working on this, and will post back when I finally figure it out. Thanx!

[root@dhcp226-12 .rvm]# gem update rails ERROR: Loading command: update (LoadError)     no such file to load -- zlib ERROR: While executing gem ... (NameError)     uninitialized constant Gem::Commands::UpdateCommand

Zoltan Gero wrote in post #971212:

...hey Z, thanx for the reply. 'gem cleanup' does work, but when I try 'gem install rails' I get the zlib error below. I can't seem to install any gems due to the zlib problem. I looked into rvm, but I can't see to get that installed. I am using Fedora, so I used yum to install rvm, but can't seem to get that working either. rvm doesn't seem to be in my path, and I can find an executable for it in the .rvm folder. I'm going to continue working on this, and will post back when I finally figure it out. Thanx!

Did you make the changes to .bashrc (or whatever the equivalent in Fedora) as described on the website after installing rvm? Until you do that rvm is not available.

Colin

I did make the changes in .bashrc, I think maybe those instructions are not applicable to fedora. For instance after installing I don't have a /usr/local/rvm folder.

I did make the changes in .bashrc, I think maybe those instructions are not applicable to fedora. For instance after installing I don't have a /usr/local/rvm folder.

I don't know whether this might help -

Colin

Hey Colin...thanx so much..that worked! Its a little unsatisfiying through, because I'm not sure exactly what part of that tutorial fixed the gem install. At any rate thanx so much for the link.

Hi guys,

I have the same issue on CentOS Linux release 7.1.1503:

# gem install rails ERROR: Loading command: install (LoadError)   cannot load such file -- zlib ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)     undefined method `invoke_with_build_args' for nil:NilClass