Can't I call a private method from a self.method

Hi    I have in MailSending class def self.send_mail_to_all_contacts(problem)   description=split_name_and_email_array(joined_array,problem) end

private   def split_name_and_email_array(name_email_array,pb)   code......   split_value="somevaluehere" end

But here I get error as undefined method `split_name_and_email_array' for MailSending:Class     So Can't I call a private method from a class method

Thanks in advance Sijo

Hi I have in MailSending class def self.send_mail_to_all_contacts(problem) description=split_name_and_email_array(joined_array,problem) end

private def split_name_and_email_array(name_email_array,pb) code...... split_value="somevaluehere" end

But here I get error as undefined method `split_name_and_email_array' for MailSending:Class So Can't I call a private method from a class method

You can't but that isn't the problem here. You can't call an instance method without an instance of the class (which you don't have).

Fred

Hi    Thanks for the reply..I can call the first like MailSendingProblem.send_mail_to_all_contacts(@problem) upto that it is Ok But it does not call the private method So need I to make the above private method public or any other solution?

Sijo

Like I said you can't call an instance method without an instance. It's like trying to say ActiveRecord::Base.reload - it doesn't make any sense - you can only call that on an instance.

Fred

You need to declare your "split_name_and_email_array" method as a class method:

def self.split_name_and_email_array(name_email_array,pb)   # ... end

Christian