can't crop images using ImageMagick

I'm using Attachment_Fu to save several thumbnails of a photo (resizing with ImageMagick)

But when I try to crop them, nothing seems to happen to the file I want to drop and no error messages. I check the file timestamp of the thumbnail I want to crop and it looks updated. What's strange is that ALL the other thumbnails and the original image's file timestamps are updated to.

Am I missing something here? At one point in this project I thought I successfully resized or cropped an image this way, but I can't seem to do it now.

Also, the files are in the shared "system" directory of a Capistrano deployed server.

Here's my code:

require 'RMagick'

top_square = params[:top_square].to_d left_square = params[:left_square].to_d width_square = params[:width_square].to_d height_square = params[:height_square].to_d

source_file = "#{RAILS_ROOT}/public#{@photo.public_filename}" destination_file = "#{RAILS_ROOT}/public#{city_photo.public_filename}"

img = Magick::Image.read(source_file).first img.crop!(left_square, top_square, width_square, height_square) img.write destination_file

Thanks, Andy

OK, it looks like if I switch the destination file to the same as the source file, it works.

But I want to use the full size as the source and then write to a thumbnail.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Andy