Cannot set date value

I have this controller code: ...       field_array.each do |f|         f = f.to_sym         model.send("#{f}=", "#{parm_hash[f]}") if model.attribute_present?(f)       end       return model ...

field_array is an array of attribute names as strings. parm_hash is the params hash returned from the view associated with model.

If the value associated with an attribute_key is anything but a date then this works and the value is set. If the value is a date then it sets nil instead.

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?

I have this controller code: ... field_array.each do |f| f = f.to_sym model.send("#{f}=", "#{parm_hash[f]}") if model.attribute_present?(f) end return model ...

field_array is an array of attribute names as strings. parm_hash is the params hash returned from the view associated with model.

If the value associated with an attribute_key is anything but a date then this works and the value is set. If the value is a date then it sets nil instead.

because with a date you can't pull the value from the params hash in one go like that - there is one value in the hash for each component (day, month, year). There's more about this at

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

because with a date you can't pull the value from the params hash in one go like that - there is one value in the hash for each component (day, month, year). There's more about this at Dates, params and you - Space Vatican

Fred

I looked at this reference, but it seems to relate specifically to the Rails date chooser, which I am not using. I dumped the hash contents passed to the code thus:

print parm_hash.to_yaml       field_array.each do |f|         f = f.to_sym         model.send("#{f}=", "#{parm_hash[f]}") if model.attribute_present?(f)       end       return model

This is what I get:

--- !map:HashWithIndifferentAccess client_credit_limit: "250" superseded_after__dteblk: "" effective_from__dteblk: 2009-03-24 09:31:16 -0400 client_credit_status: INAC client_credit_policy: OPEN effective_from: 2009-03-24 09:31:16 -0400 superseded_after: "" client_credit_terms: "15"

As far as I can tell from this there are no nested hashes of any type and the value for 'effective_from is a datetime value.

This code should resolve to: @client.send("effective_from=",2009-03-24 09:31:16 -0400)

And should be equivalent to: @client.effective_from=params[:client][:effective_from]

Which works without error.

Frederick Cheung wrote:

> because with a date you can't pull the value from the params hash in > one go like that - there is one value in the hash for each component > (day, month, year). There's more about this at >Dates, params and you - Space Vatican

> Fred

I looked at this reference, but it seems to relate specifically to the Rails date chooser, which I am not using.

ah, you should have said :slight_smile:

@client.send("effective_from=",2009-03-24 09:31:16 -0400)

Are you sure this is getting called ? perhaps attribute_present? is returning false (if the previous value of the attribute was nil)

Fred

Ahh. As you point out, attribute_present? does not refer to the attribute itself, but to its current value. I should think that given the PoLS this method would be better called attribute_set? but no matter.

I suppose that I should use method_missing instead.

James Byrne wrote:

Or instead, has-attribute?

James Byrne wrote:

Or instead, has-attribute?

You could use ModelClass.column_names / ModelClass.columns_hash to see
if an appropriately named column exists.

Fred