can you portably store infinity via AR?

Hi:

The gist of my question: is there a way to *portably* store and retrieve Infinity in an ActiveRecord float column?

Following is an amusing saga, but it doesn't really answer the question.

Step 1: As was mentioned in Infinity - Ruby - Ruby-Forum, you can't simply write a Ruby infinite value. Here are the results in Rails 3 with the sqlite 1.3.3 gem:

r = TestRec.create(:x => (1.0/0.0))

ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: SQLite3::SQLException: no such column: Infinity: INSERT INTO "test_recs" ("x") VALUES (Infinity)

Step 2: So if storing infinity isn't possible, how about a really big value, like Float::MAX?

r = TestRec.create(:x => Float::MAX)

=> #<TestRec id: 1, x: 1.7976931348623157e+308>

r.x == Float::MAX

=> true

Step 3: That looks promising, but we're looking at the in-memory version of the record. We should reload r to get the value from the database:

r.reload

=> #<TestRec id: 1, x: Infinity>

r.x == Float::MAX

=> false

r.x.infinite?

=> 1

Whoa! x has changed from Float::MAX to Infinity. So it appears that if you want to store Infinity in a DB column, you need to store Float::MAX instead. At least for sqlite.

Naturally, I don't trust this as a general solution. Can I assume it will work this way across other DBs? If not, is there a generally portable way to store Infinity?

Fearless Fool wrote in post #980885:

The gist of my question: is there a way to *portably* store and retrieve Infinity in an ActiveRecord float column?

Okay, first some clarifications:

Infinity is not value and cannot be represented by a float (lower case). What is actually happening is that the Float class has been given the ability to represent Infinity and -Infinity. This is a representation of a concept (similar to nil) not a value. Databases are generally capable of representing nil (or rather NULL), but have no means of representing Infinity (AFAIK).

Regardless of Ruby's somewhat odd implementation; (1.0 / 0.0) is not equal to infinity. Anything divided by zero is undefined. Any real number could represent the result, hence "undefined." Some languages will crash (or throw an exception) on such an operation. I suppose Ruby implemented this in the Float class to provide a way for the language to represent the abstract concept of Infinity.

This behavior is, AFAIK, unique to Ruby. So I suppose I'm saying that there may not be a portable way to represent Infinity in relational databases.

Infinity is not value and cannot be represented by a float (lower case). What is actually happening is that the Float class has been given the ability to represent Infinity and -Infinity. This is a representation of a concept (similar to nil) not a value. Databases are generally capable of representing nil (or rather NULL), but have no means of representing Infinity (AFAIK).

Regardless of Ruby's somewhat odd implementation; (1.0 / 0.0) is not equal to infinity. Anything divided by zero is undefined. Any real number could represent the result, hence "undefined." Some languages will crash (or throw an exception) on such an operation. I suppose Ruby implemented this in the Float class to provide a way for the language to represent the abstract concept of Infinity.

This behavior is, AFAIK, unique to Ruby. So I suppose I'm saying that there may not be a portable way to represent Infinity in relational databases.

IEEE floats handle infinity ( Infinity and NaN (The GNU C Library) ). Definitely not a rubyism

Fred

Quoting Frederick Cheung <frederick.cheung@gmail.com>:

> Fearless Fool wrote in post #980885: >> The gist of my question: is there a way to *portably* store and retrieve >> Infinity in an ActiveRecord float column? > > Okay, first some clarifications: > > Infinity is not value and cannot be represented by a float (lower case).

[snip]

IEEE floats handle infinity ( Infinity and NaN (The GNU C Library) ). Definitely not a rubyism

And Not a Number (NaN). IIRC, square root of -1 is NaN.

Jeffrey

Robert Walker wrote in post #980944:

Regardless of Ruby's somewhat odd implementation; (1.0 / 0.0) is not equal to infinity.

Oy!

Now you've stepped in it.

Frederick Cheung wrote in post #980965:

Where it stands:

Infinity can be represented in IEEE floating point numbers.

Infinity can be represented in Ruby, as evidenced by

(1.0/0.0).infinite?

=> 1

Infinity can be represented in sqlite (and probably other databases):   > select * from test_recs;   1|Inf|

Yet it appears that there's no portable way to store a Ruby infinity in a database using AR. Does anyone disagree?