Can I use conditions outside of find(...)?

Hi all,

Many apps duplicate logic in SQL and in model methods. This isn't very DRY. Can I factor out the conditions somehow, and leverage them in both places, e.g.:

class Order   PRIORITY_CONDITIONS = "(status = 2 AND total > 100) or total > 1000"

def self.find_priority_orders     self.find(:all, :conditions => PRIORITY_CONDITIONS)   end

def priority?     # Using a fictional 'meets?' method which applies conditions     # to an object and returns true or false.     [self].select{|o| o.meets?(PRIORITY_CONDITIONS)}.size == 1   end end

I know I've glossed over the handling of parameterized conditions, but that's a solvable problem. Does anyone know of a plugin (or API item I missed) that supports this?

Thanks,

Brian Hartin

google for rails query plugins? Did you want the select line to be done in SQL?

Roger,

Thanks for the response. I might not have been clear about this line:

[self].select{|o| o.meets?(PRIORITY_CONDITIONS)}.size == 1

I should have simply written:

o.meets?(PRIORITY_CONDITIONS)

The 'meets?' method is testing a given order against the conditions, for example:

o = Order.find(1) # Return true if the order meets these conditions o.meets?("(status = 2 AND total > 100) or total > 1000")

meets? does NOT query the database; it simply evaluates the conditions against the model at hand. This is, of course, sufficient to test a single model or query an array of models, due to the implementation of Array#select.

If non-standard SQL functions are used, meets would fail. Perhaps vendor-specific ConnectionAdapters might override meets? to accomodate their vendor-specific SQL syntax.

I was hoping that a plugin of this sort existed. The 'duplicate logic in SQL and instance methods' problem has been around forever.

Thanks!

Roger Pack wrote:

Not that I know of.

However, you can do something like this:

conds = ["blah blah ? ", some_var]

def meets?(conds)   temp = ; self.find(:all, :conditions => conds[0].app).each{|rec| temp << rec.id}; temp.index(self.id).nil? end

or

def meets?(conds)   conds[0] << " and id = ?"   conds << self.id   self.find(:first, :conditions=>conds).nil? end

It does result in a wasted database call though unless your conditions are super-complex and you can't readily check them in-model (for example, if you need to pull in tons of information from other tables).

I see so you'd like to basically be able to re-use code # which you do use: all_good = collection.accept{|member| member.good?}

and you'd like to use it later. all_good_from_sql = Collection.find :all, :conditions => SOMETHING

Yeah google for rails query plugins there may be one. Or you could just stick with SQL only :slight_smile: -R

Brian Hartin wrote:

Thinking about it for a moment will tell you why. What happens if your conditions include columns not in your model's table through a join, and those relationships are not defined in the ORM (or aren't eagerly loaded, or... )? What if a subquery appears (" id IN SELECT id from ....")? Even worse, consider the where clauses where more complex calculations are made... ruby/rails would have to emulate *precisely* the math engine in the database, or make those numerical queries anyway.

It seems so simple in the obvious case of just testing a tables attributes, but making it work generically would be all but impossible and be very tricky to use.

Clever Neologism wrote:

I was hoping that a plugin of this sort existed. The 'duplicate logic in SQL and instance methods' problem has been around forever.

Thinking about it for a moment will tell you why. What happens if your conditions include columns not in your model's table through a join, and those relationships are not defined in the ORM (or aren't eagerly loaded, or... )? What if a subquery appears (" id IN SELECT id from ....")? Even worse, consider the where clauses where more complex calculations are made... ruby/rails would have to emulate *precisely* the math engine in the database, or make those numerical queries anyway.

It seems so simple in the obvious case of just testing a tables attributes, but making it work generically would be all but impossible and be very tricky to use.

Yeah, I knew that it would get tricky when you get to vendor-specific stuff. I wonder how other frameworks, which have generic query languages (.NET LINQ, Hibernate HQL, JPA JPQL, etc.), handle this. If I tried to write a plugin for this, I think I'd just commit to handling a subset of ANSI SQL functions for the model at hand and raise Exceptions for any others.

I had considered hitting the DB for one row, as in your 'meets?' example, but that precludes running the test on an object that is in a different state than the database, through either my unsaved changes or someone else's changes underneath me.

Thanks for the responses!

Brian